What happened ?
- One morning i start the laptop and instead of the Compaq bios screen i get 4 small 1inch by 1inch screens side by side in the middle of my laptop with illegible text in them (they are copies of each other).
- 5 seconds later it goes to my regular OS selection page where the text are jumbled e.g instead of saying windows XP it says wandos $P or something along those lines. All the text is mixed with @ instead of i or something along those lines.
- I choose Windows XP and goes to the Windows XP logo where everything seems normal - and then into a blank screen proceeded by dots and lines with nothing else.
What i have done so far?
- So i tried safe-mode and i had no problems getting into safe-mode which works perfectly without a hitch.
- Considering i had no idea what to do and realizing if the bios was screwed up then .. safe-mode should not work ... and considering safe mode works fine ... i have no idea what the problem is. So i decided to reinstall windows.
- To give you an idea of what mixed up text looks like this is what my reinstall selection looked like -> Mixed up Windows XP Installtion
- So i continued with the reinstalltion which seemed to be going fine until it came to installing drivers and hit this snag -> BSOD during reinstallation
- I tried again and the same thing happened.
- During this time i logged into my deaktop and was speaking to myrti (who helped alot! and i owe him for his prompt replies) - and he suggested i send him my minidump info so he could see the snag.
- Using OLTP i got him the information and he found the snag to be a audio kernal file. He asked me to rename the file and the re-installation proceeded with me hitting cancel when i was asked for that file and also a video driver file.
- Next the re-installation worked and i proceeded to update it to SP3 and install the video card. Everything went well. during this time period everytime i had to restart the bios start up was still messed up but windows worked.
- After the video driver was installed i updated the video driver - it asked to restart i did and the Bios was FIXED - and i was happy the computer worked like a million bucks!
- I restarted the computer and it went back to Step 1 with the bios being messed up and after the windows XP image going to a blank screen.
- Now i knew that my computer worked but for some reason there was a screw up so I then went into safe mode msconfig and disabled everything under startup and a few services under services.
- restarted the computer and same problem.
-restarted the computer and the Bios was perfect and the computer started perfectly.....
- Myrti asked me to start a topic here to decide if this is/was a hardware or software problem and that is where im at - i have not restarted again to see if it is a permanent fix or not.
So any ideas as to what the problem is?? Or what i should do before i try restarting the laptop again?? please let me know - im looking for any help thanks!
Edited by jtl310, 23 August 2010 - 08:24 PM.