Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Bios startup with mixed up letters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jtl310

jtl310

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Laptop Specifications

What happened ?
- One morning i start the laptop and instead of the Compaq bios screen i get 4 small 1inch by 1inch screens side by side in the middle of my laptop with illegible text in them (they are copies of each other).

- 5 seconds later it goes to my regular OS selection page where the text are jumbled e.g instead of saying windows XP it says wandos $P or something along those lines. All the text is mixed with @ instead of i or something along those lines.

- I choose Windows XP and goes to the Windows XP logo where everything seems normal - and then into a blank screen proceeded by dots and lines with nothing else.

What i have done so far?

- So i tried safe-mode and i had no problems getting into safe-mode which works perfectly without a hitch.

- Considering i had no idea what to do and realizing if the bios was screwed up then .. safe-mode should not work ... and considering safe mode works fine ... i have no idea what the problem is. So i decided to reinstall windows.

- To give you an idea of what mixed up text looks like this is what my reinstall selection looked like -> Mixed up Windows XP Installtion

- So i continued with the reinstalltion which seemed to be going fine until it came to installing drivers and hit this snag -> BSOD during reinstallation

- I tried again and the same thing happened.

- During this time i logged into my deaktop and was speaking to myrti (who helped alot! and i owe him for his prompt replies) - and he suggested i send him my minidump info so he could see the snag.

- Using OLTP i got him the information and he found the snag to be a audio kernal file. He asked me to rename the file and the re-installation proceeded with me hitting cancel when i was asked for that file and also a video driver file.

- Next the re-installation worked and i proceeded to update it to SP3 and install the video card. Everything went well. during this time period everytime i had to restart the bios start up was still messed up but windows worked.

- After the video driver was installed i updated the video driver - it asked to restart i did and the Bios was FIXED - and i was happy the computer worked like a million bucks!

- I restarted the computer and it went back to Step 1 with the bios being messed up and after the windows XP image going to a blank screen.

- Now i knew that my computer worked but for some reason there was a screw up so I then went into safe mode msconfig and disabled everything under startup and a few services under services.

- restarted the computer and same problem.

-restarted the computer and the Bios was perfect and the computer started perfectly.....

- Myrti asked me to start a topic here to decide if this is/was a hardware or software problem and that is where im at - i have not restarted again to see if it is a permanent fix or not.

So any ideas as to what the problem is?? Or what i should do before i try restarting the laptop again?? please let me know - im looking for any help thanks!

Edited by jtl310, 23 August 2010 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hey jtl310 -

I'm trying to figure this out, but the links you posted don't work. I found the URL that will work, and if someone helps you before me, heres where you can see the pics:

First here.

Second here.

#3 jtl310

jtl310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hey jtl310 -

I'm trying to figure this out, but the links you posted don't work. I found the URL that will work, and if someone helps you before me, heres where you can see the pics:

First here.

Second here.

Fixed thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

#4 jtl310

jtl310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Update: Day 2

- So i eventually had to shut down my computer and so when i woke up and restarted the laptop it reverted back to the mixed up letters and screen going blank after the windows xp logo.

- I went into safe mode and disabled the Nvidia driver.

- i restarted the laptop and windows XP worked.

- I then went in and enabled the driver and it worked, i then turned up the resolution and the screen went blank.

- I restarted the laptop and it worked perfectly....

- Sooo that is where i am at right now.

Obviously its something to do with my video driver or video card, but the thing is once it is working it works great. I dont know what to do or think about this. Any thoughts?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

I have read your topic and want to offer some input.

I seen the pictures you linked us to and see where the text is messed up in a few words.

This being a laptop, I realize your graphics accellerator is intergrated into the motherboard.

This is not a driver issue.

There are no drivers loaded into memory when you are in the BIOS set up screen, or loading a set up off of a cdrom, the graphics card is using what is almost the equivalent of 16 colors in 16 bit.

You either have an over-heating issue related to your CPU processor or your intergareted video graphics accellerator.

Have you ever tired blowing this laptop out with a can of compressed air?

I am also wondering if your motherboard's BIOS firmware may have become some-what corrupted for some reason.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 August 2010 - 02:23 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

I agree with Bruce. This is definitely not a driver issue since it occurs in the BIOS screens.
Im thinking either a corrupt bios, heat issue or bad video chipset.
Does the bottom of the system feel hot?

Flashing the bios is an option but it could potentially make matters worse
Check the fans and clean it as Bruce suggests
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users