Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATX PSU w/ a MicroATX MOBO

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 techgeek2009

techgeek2009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

I'm working on a computer for my GF's aunt and the PSU is blown. Her computer has a mATX MoBo in it and I wanted to check it with my PSU from a spare computer and it is a Standard ATX PSU(350 WATT). I checked the numbers for the DC output and they didn't match up, and I was wondering if using it would work with a microATX Motherboard.

The Motherboard is a Soltek SL-K8M800I-RL and the PSU in the computer is a Maxpower ATX 12V.

Edited by techgeek2009, 24 August 2010 - 06:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moaoe

moaoe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

I can't seem to find anything on that kind of motherboard by that model number. Are you sure that is the correct model number??

#3 techgeek2009

techgeek2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

I can't seem to find anything on that kind of motherboard by that model number. Are you sure that is the correct model number??

The 9 was suppose to be an 8. Just fixed it.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I looked up your motherboard specs and the specs for your PSU, although I am not 100% sure I had the correct PSU model you are refering to I came up with Max power ATX 12V 350 Watt when I Googled it, so hopefully I had the correct PSU that I was checking the specs on.

If your concerns are is this PSU capable of powering this motherboard up, the answer to that question is yes.

The only thing you have to be concerned with is what other hardware you have that draws power from the PSU besides just the motherboard's demand for power.

Add-on video cards draw power from the PSU as well, it depends on the demand this card puts on the PSU and if it is gettting a satisfactory amount of it.

Try powering up the computer as is with this PSU, if it runs stable and there is no signs that anything is lacking sufficent power, then you should be okay using this PSU.

If you intend to upgrade to a new PSU, I suggest the newer PSU have a minimum of 500 Watts and a 12v rail output of 50 Amps or more (more is better) showing for the 12v rail.

If you need good advice on what PSU to purchase, the best forum to ask for these suggestions is this one here at this link. System building and upgrading forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum139.html

In that forum you will recieve advice from members who offer good advice on what is a decent PSU for your buck.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 August 2010 - 11:27 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 techgeek2009

techgeek2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I looked up your motherboard specs and the specs for your PSU, although I am not 100% sure I had the correct PSU model you are refering to I came up with Max power ATX 12V 350 Watt when I Googled it, so hopefully I had the correct PSU that I was checking the specs on.

If your concerns are is this PSU capable of powering this motherboard up, the answer to that question is yes.

The only thing you have to be concerned with is what other hardware you have that draws power from the PSU besides just the motherboard's demand for power.

Add-on video cards draw power from the PSU as well, it depends on the demand this card puts on the PSU and if it is gettting a satisfactory amount of it.

Try powering up the computer as is with this PSU, if it runs stable and there is no signs that anything is lacking sufficent power, then you should be okay using this PSU.

If you intend to upgrade to a new PSU, I suggest the newer PSU have a minimum of 500 Watts and a 12v rail output of 50 Amps or more (more is better) showing for the 12v rail.

If you need good advice on what PSU to purchase, the best forum to ask for these suggestions is this one here at this link. System building and upgrading forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum139.html

In that forum you will recieve advice from members who offer good advice on what is a decent PSU for your buck.

Bruce.

The PSU I'm going to put into the computer is a Antec SP-350 350 Watt. The other one has a blown PSU is a 350 WATT I assume. The two numbers I found on the bad PSU is pt-350rodun and ke04031308. I'm not worrying about upgrading or anything at this point, just wanting to mainly know if it was going to cause any problems putting another PSU with different numbers listed in the DC Output columns in that computer to make sure nothing else was messing up on the microATX motherboard in the computer i'm trying to fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users