Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes on Startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Schmidt_127

Schmidt_127

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

I am a teacher who is struggling with my computer. Windows XP will not boot correctly. If I turn the computer off I will have to restart it multiple times to finally get it to continue on. Even then it is slow and eventually freezes up. I have tried Malware and Virus detection and have found and tried to remove them but I believe they must be deep in the computer because I can't fix the problem.

Please help.

M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

System manufacturer and model, please?

FWIW: Freezes, inability to boot, etc...often have nothing to do with malware. Common other factors contributing to such include hardware problems, software problems, and O/S problems...and overheating.

Any onscreen error messages?

Louis

#3 Schmidt_127

Schmidt_127
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your time and help. I posted but was not sure if it uploaded.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

Computer Equus Computer Systems
Nobilis
Intel Corel 2Duo CPU
E 8400 @ 3.00 GHz
3.00 GHz, 3.24GB of Ram
Physical Address Extension

On any start Windows will begin to load slowly and then after log on screen freezes up with the blue Windows background screen/logo and nothing else or it will get to the desktop and clock in the lower right hand corner then freeze. I have done this multiple times and it will eventually continue fine for a few hours and then freeze up when i am working with internet or LAN locations.

The computer was purchased new one year ago.

Thanks,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Desktop or laptop (I can't tell)?

Any indications of overheating, have you checked that the fans are working as they should...check the CPU temperature...checked the system for dust, etc. that may result in overheating?

Have you tried using XP's System Restore to return to a situation where problems did not exist?

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, do the same symptoms manifest themselves?

Have any trouble connecting to the Internet...updating your AV program or accessing Windows Update?

How to Avoid Overheating - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible pertinent errors noted?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html. I would look at the last five errors noted on any tab, hopefully that approximate your freezes.

And...throughout these problems, you get no onscreen error messages?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users