Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One specific website won't load/display properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 C47FSN

C47FSN

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hello. I recently went to click on a link of a website that was already open in a tab in firefox and it did not work properly. It took a long time to load and when it did it had clearly not loaded properly. The background was completely white and the only thing on the screen was text. No pictures or graphics of any sort. The text was either black, blue, or purple, the blue and purple text being unused and used links respectively. All of the text was aligned to the left of the screen.

I tried refreshing and opening a link to another tab but that resulted in the same problem. Any activity based on this tab, such as refreshing or clicking on another link, caused firefox to really slow down and to become somewhat unresponsive - the highlighting seen when mousing over any icon or menu in the toolbar of firefox didn't happen, but the buttons and menus did actually work. I could stop the activity of the tab in question, do any of those same things in another tab, and firefox functioned properly. I just realized that nothing has to actually be loading in that tab; when it was idle I clicked on it and for several seconds everything became unresponsive, and when I could click back to any other tab, everything was normal again.

So far no other website has caused a similar problem.

Last year I had a similar problem but it wasn't limited to one particular site.

I looked through my older topics and went through some of the steps after running some of the more obvious (to me) actions.

I've run spybot, avast, sas, atf cleaner, and mbam. I also cleared the recent history including the cache in firefox, and rebooted the computer several times throughout this process.

I normally would have suspected the website in this situation, but it's very similar to what I had seen in the past and is affecting firefox so it seemed like it might be my problem.

What should my next step be?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

If it is limited only to that one website, then I would suspect that's where the problem lies. Just because what its doing is similar to a situation you encountered in the past which involved multiple websites does not necessarily mean this time its malware related.

Do you have the same problem when trying to reach the site through Internet Explorer?

Another thing to try is to access that site from another computer to see if you encounter the same thing. If you cannot' access the site from another machine that would tend to confirm, its probably the website. Of, course, it could also be a problem with the link itself (i.e. broken) or how it was placed on the page by those who maintain the site providing that link.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 C47FSN

C47FSN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for your reply.

It looks like you are correct. Accessing the site from IE yielded similar results, as well as trying from another computer.

I appreciate your help, and I'll definitely remember to try this again if a similar problem arises.

Thanks again!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

You're welcome. Safe surfing and have a malware free day.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users