Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer froze up, now monitor, keyboard, mouse not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

I was using irfanview to resize some photos when, after saving one such photo, I went to click on "save as" but instead of the photo being saved my computer froze. The mouse pointer wouldn't move; control-alt-delete didn't work on my keyboard and when I tried to shut off the computer by pressing the "button" on the top of the tower, that didn't shut it off either. I then pulled out the power cord on the back of the tower and that shut off everything. I waited ten seconds and then put the cord back into the tower. Now the monitor starts with the blue light and Acer screen but then it says NO SIGNAL and the blue light turns to white. The mouse doesn't seem to work (the red light that usually shines on the bottom of the mouse when it is working isn't coming on) and the keyboard isn't working either. In fact I've tried 2 different keyboards and neither are working (there is usually a blue light that comes on when the keyboard is working OK but it isn't coming on). The speakers are working OK and the CD-DVD ROM drive opens and
seems like it will work OK but since the monitor isn't accepting any signals from the desktop computer, nothing I put in the CD-DVD drive shows up on the monitor. HELP!!!!!!!

Luckily I bought a laptop computer recently so while I can use it to get on the internet and check things out, I want my desktop working OK too. Might it be a motherboard issue or power supply or something else? Not handy fixing computer, just using them.

The computer is an Acer Aspire M1641-U1521A and I upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I've had it for just about 2 years.

William

Edited by bostonblackie, 23 August 2010 - 01:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Does the computer post at all? Any Post Beep codes?

If you can get a video on the screen, you should try entering the BIOS setup screen and set defaults, then save and exit.

If your getting a post, but no video, try re-seating the graphics card, then booting up again and entering your BIOS setup and set defaults.

If this continues to happen, try doing the PSU again, with unplugging and replgging your power supply power wire, sometimes this re-sets the PSU.

Please keep me updated with the results.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 August 2010 - 12:40 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Okay opened up the computer and the power supply seems to be working OK (I can do a hard reset by holding the power button down for 3 seconds and it shuts off and comes back on when I press it again.) I checked the battery for the motherboard and that looks like its working OK. Not sure where the graphics card is so I might have to take the Acer tower to a repair shop and have them check it out. I dont want to do anything that might make things worse.

William

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Okay, I can understand your concerns and if you're really not comfortable with working on your own computer, it is always best to take it to someone who has the knowledge and training to do it correctly.

Good luck and if you wish to post back what was found to be wrong with your computer, we would appreciate you're doing that.

Kind regards and good luck.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 24 August 2010 - 12:44 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users