Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run Which Malware Programs W/sys Rest. Turned Off?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:37 AM

Which malware programs should be run with System Restore turned off? And which ones in Safe Mode?

How do I know which method (Sys. Rest. off/Safe Mode) to use and when?

The ones I have on my computer so far are:

AVG
AdAware SE
Spybot S & D
CCleaner
SpywareBlaster (just added it so haven't used it or done anything with it because I'm on the waiting list in the HJT forum, but have read your tutorial on it)

Also, do I use Panda scan and Trendmicro Housecall with Sys. Rest. off/Safe Mode?

What about Defrag?

Anything else?

Thanks.
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:10 AM

To clean your computer run them all from safe mode. That is the most effective way. As far as turning system restore off, I would not do that. AVG may have instruction with special cases where they advise you to disable System restore but that is a case by case basis. If you do create a new restore point when you turn it back on.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Thank you once again, acklan! I was beginning to think that ALL of them should be run with one of these methods and started a list for myself to add to when I'd read such a recommendation to run a certain malware program with one of these methods. I just needed to make sure though.

When you said "all" you did mean that to include Defrag too, right??

BTW, I just downloaded/installed a2 also. And it brought me to another question I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting:

When I download any type of program, and it asks if you want to RUN or SAVE, I always choose RUN.....is that okay or not? Everything always runs okay that way, or so I think it does. Am I missing out on anything doing it that way? What's the difference in RUN or SAVE?

Thanks again, acklan. You sure are good at getting to people's questions quickly! That's awfully nice of you!
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

Run, as you know, installs the program.
Save, will save the program installer to your harddrive, then you just double-click the .exe file for the program, and it installs itself.
I choose Save, and then save the installers in a file of installers.
This way, when you do backups of your files, you can burn the folder of installers.
That way, if your computer crashes and you have to do a reinstall of the operating system, you don't have to waste time re-downloading all of your programs.
You have them all on CD.
This is also handy to have if a new version of a program doesn't work right
You can always fall back to a previous version, that you know works.

When you said "all" you did mean that to include Defrag too, right??

Yes, Defrag in Safe Mode also.
Defrag runs faster in Safe Mode.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:11 AM

Got it!! Thanks very much tg1911!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:24 AM

Yes, defrag too. The idea is to find these malware/virus' while they are not running, so you go to safe mode and get most of them before they ever load up.
RUN is how I download most of my stuff. I use SAVE so I can burn it to a cd. I make utility cds and give them out. Right now I have a utility CD that has 450mb of programs. If you are downloading files you next to save them to disk.

#7 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:44 AM

That makes me feel more secure; that someone else (who knows what he's doing) also downloads with RUN!!

So you put all these malware programs on a CD to give out to your friends, etc. who are needing help? If I'm understanding that right, that's awesome of you. I should do the same thing for my family. They always want ME to do all the looking up and "fixing" their computers for them. I drew the line though when asked to go through THEIR Startup list and find out if they had a bunch of bad stuff like I did. That took me 6 hours to just look up all 50 processes (or whatever) on my own....I had to tell them to look them it up like I did. <sheepish grin here>

The only thing I didn't understand in your post was

If you are downloading files you need to save them to disk.

Thanks, acklan.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:52 AM

Pictures, mp3, non program stuff. There is nothing to RUN. Static files not programs

#9 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:15 AM

Okay, I see. I usually save up a bunch to the pc THEN put them on a disk....cause I sure don't know how to use a floppy, where you can add stuff after you've already put stuff on it....can't do that with a CD I don't think....if you CAN, I don't know how.

I know, using a floppy is probably the easiest thing in the world, but everytime I've ever tried, I just couldn't get it to work for me. Always something wrong in formatting or something like that! Maybe I'll "get it" one day if/when I try it again.

Thanks again, acklan.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:44 AM

Hi Lily Livered!
Forget floppies, they're history. Get a flashdrive (aka thumbdrive, pendrive, flashdisk, and sometimes memory stick). They are cheap, lots of sizes up to GBs in capacity, they're small, they plug into your USB ports and Win XP recognises them immediately. You just use them like another hard drive i.e. drag'n'drop files to them. Best thing since sliced bread imho.

Just my 10c worth. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 02 November 2005 - 04:45 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:54 AM

Most of the popular burning software will let you do multisession cds. Meaning to can keep adding to the cd. When it asks if you want to close the session say NO. You will be able to add to it again. If you change a file you will have to rename it. Example: MWord.doc Modify you woud save it the next session MWord2.doc . That way the computer can tell them apart on the cd.
Rimmer has a great idea though. A usb flash keychain drive. You can take it anywhere.

#12 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:16 AM

Rimmer and acklan, surprise! I DO have a usb flash! Only 128MB though and it filled up FAST with not much on it! Rimmer, I agree that they are going to be a great thing for me too, when I get a bigger one! Thanks for your $.10!!

acklan, thank you very much for the explanation on how to add to a disc...I can't wait to try it out! It's going to be very useful to me to know how to do that.

I appreciate everyone's input!!

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:06 AM

My pleasure. :thumbsup:

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:19 PM

My 5c
Absolutely FLASH, it is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

One other idea - 40-60-80 gig tiny, portable, shock resistant, drives now sell for around $100.
I'm using one on USB as my backup drive, and is a perfect place to park things on.
A chap at work has a 60gig for <90 carries it in his pocket.

I've seen FLASH drives nearing that price but not that capacity.

This forum is fabulous and fun. Thanks to all the experts :thumbsup:

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:19 PM

I thought you might find this intresting... http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/USB_Flash_Dri...16-5128560.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users