Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot File help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lynx560

Lynx560

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

I need help with understanding why my boot files (BOOT.BAK, boot.ini, cmldr, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr & a folder "cmdcons") are located in a partition (D:\) on my HD where no OS is ,or ever has been, installed.

Why are they not located in my root drive (C:\) where I have XP installed ??? :thumbsup:

This is really strange because my computer starts & operates just fine.

I know... if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it ... but this just doesn't seem right.

What would happen if I just moved them from D:\ to C:\ ???
I'm betting it wouldn't start if I did .... :flowers:

Can anyone explain why this is & if this can (or should !) be fixed so they boot from C:\ ???

EDIT:
I just checked my BIOS & it boots: 1)CD-ROM, then 2) C:\ ...
No mention of D:\ .....
Very strange

Edited by Lynx560, 23 August 2010 - 11:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

System and model?

Some manufacturers (HP, eMachines...just examples of manufacturers) employ nonstandard boot options on their systems, in addition to using hidden partitions.

I would check the system specs and I would take a look at the Disk Management window before assuming anything.

Disk Management may provide some useful info about these partitions.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Louis

#3 Lynx560

Lynx560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the reply hamluis

It is a Dell Dimension B110

Here is a screenshot of the Disk Management window:
Posted Image

Does this help ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hmmm...I see how your questions originate...but, as I said, some manufacturers use nonstandard boot schemes and Dell is one of those.

I'm not sure what that first small partition might be...but I suspect that the last partition on the first drive is the restore-to-factory-defaults files.

I would not bother with changing anything...unless I was willing to do a clean install that does not depend on either of the existing partitions and I had a valid license and a MS XP disk for installing XP.

Louis

#5 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Dell computers have the ability to do a "control + alt + D" test when the system is booting, its just a diagnostic check of hardware/video/etc. This is most likely where the files are stored for that diagnostic check

#6 Lynx560

Lynx560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Thanks guys .... :thumbsup:

I'm gonna follow the adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I appreciate your time !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users