Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I broke the boot and need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Danger

Nick Danger

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

A friend of mine gave me a VAIO Pentium 4 laptop with a Windows XP and Linux GRUB dual boot. Since he was using it as a Linux machine, he partitioned the drive and the XP side only had about 600 Mb free space. The VAIO requires about 5 Gb to create a set of recovery disks, so I couldn't do that. I don't have the password for the Linux OS.

The previous owner didn't want to mess with the partitions or the GRUB dual boot because he was afraid that if he didn't the computer wouldn't boot at all. I messed with it, and he was right.

I want to convert it to an XP only computer. Directions online tell me to get a recovery console and run FIXMBR. I did that, and the result was a flashing underscore after the VAIO flash screen.

I used the recovery console from here.

When that happened, I used the same disk to run BOOTFIX. That didn't help.

After that, I followed the directions on this page. I ran CHKDSK/R and then tried to restore to an earlier point. Neither worked.

Someone at work gave me a copy of an XP disk, and I tried to use the recovery console to 'repair' the Windows files. I still only get a flashing underscore.

Since the laptop is almost empty, I'm willing to do a clean install. I've been careful to avoid messing with the partition where VAIO keeps the recovery information.

Please help me get this laptop working again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

If you mean that you want to restore the system to factory defaults...Sony provides the procedures for doing that.

I suggest you look up the appropriate system on the Sony website...and see if they list a manual or description of how to restore to factory defaults.

The flashing cursor in the upper left corner of the black screen...is normally overcome by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#3 Nick Danger

Nick Danger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thank you for your reply. As you can see from my original post, FIXMBR was the first thing I tried. That was what created the black screen. Trying it again didn't work either.

Everything that I've been able to find on the Sony site assumes that I have Windows running or have the Vaio Recovery Disks. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

Laptop manufacturers...may design their systems with nonstandard partitions and boot structures. The manufacturers determine the means of repairing/installing Windows on these systems.

I suggest you contact Sony, inquiring about replacement disks.

Louis

#5 Nick Danger

Nick Danger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Before I go spend $15 on Sony technical support, does anyone else have a suggestion? The full recovery information is on the computer, on its own partition, and you would think that I just need to execute it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users