Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing bootmgr "press cntrl alt delete to restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tomerms

tomerms

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

I have 74.5 GB partition on an 80 GB hard drive. I copied an ISO image of windows 7 and inserted into my DVD drive and installed it. But after installing I get a black screen and at the top it says "Missing BootMGR press cntrl/alt/del to restart. I went and restarted and pressed any key to boot from the DVD, I then chose english and pressed enter, I then pressed recovery and selcted to cancel and used the command prompt to copy bootmgr from the DVD to c:\ then restarted again. I am at a loss of what to do next, can anyone help?

Trying to reinstall windows 7 now copying windows files went find. It seems like it is stuck at 20% on expanding windows files now.

Edited by tomerms, 23 August 2010 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Your ISO image may not have included all the files found on the Windows 7 DVD.

As far I knew the Windows 7 DVD is a dual layered DVD.

I could be wrong about this, as I have not ever tried to create a copy of the Windows 7 DVD, even though, I have a retail copy of the Windows 7 Home Premium DVD.

So perhaps someone could share a little more light on the subject.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Not sure where you got your W7 ISO, but it may not be genuine, or even contain the boot files.

I have been able to make a backup copy of my W7 DVD without any problem. It boots into setup just fine.

It also fits on a 4.7G disc.

#4 Eneerge

Eneerge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

This may also occur if you have an external or portable hard drive plugged in. I noticed that on some gigabyte motherboards the boot order can sometimes be screwy. Try hitting F12, Escape, F10, or whatever your key combination is for selecting a boot medium, and then try selecting the drive you installed to.

Also, you can verify your image by comparing it's checksum with the ones published on Microsoft's site. To do this, you need a program that will allow you to compute the required hash. A good one that I like is "Marxio File Checksum Verifier" available here: http://www.marxio-tools.net/en/marxio-fcv.php

To generate the checksum, drag your iso file into the program and it will automatically compute a hash. Make sure you have the "SHA1" selected and then compare its hash with the one published on Microsoft's site here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscripti...ult.aspx?ppud=4

Edited by Eneerge, 26 August 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#5 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

If you have not already re-installed using your windows 7 dvd follow the guide below it says vista but is generic and applies to windows 7 as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

MrBruce don't think windows 7 DVD's are dual layed i have win7 ultimate it is only 3GB and have seperate disc for 64-bit os i'm in the uk so it may be different in the states.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users