Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my comp freezes maybe 15 mins of start up i have no idea why please help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DakotaJ98

DakotaJ98

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

ok, so my comp just recently started freezing for no reason its a 2004 Dell with a 60 gig HDD never had problems before the fan works and its not overheating ive checked all that and it runs perfectly in safe mode (like i hope it should regardless) but ill start up m8y comp and it will run great until i try opening something then it stays frozen for hours and the loading noise comps do well it does that but then makes like a clicking noise (its not the hard drive i got it checked out) if you could please help that would be wonderful id much rather not spend 300 to 800 bucks on a new comp with an operating system im not particularly fond of

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moc

Moc

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hi there,

Please answer the following:
1) Is that clicking noise mechanical (as in physically your computer) or is it caused by the software side (as in the OS itself, or any other program running).
2) You say the problems started just recently. Did you install any programs, or did you do anything suspicious in particular (e.g. downloading, visiting risky websites, and so on).
3) In safe mode this does not happen?

Regards,
Tijn

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi :thumbsup: to BC DakotaJ98

In addition to answering the questions above please tell me if you are running an antivirus program and what it is. :flowers:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 DakotaJ98

DakotaJ98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

alright the clicking noise doesnt sound mechanical it sounds like the computer is stuck while loading and no it doesnt happen in safe mode, yes i do have a virus protection im using Comodo Premium no i havent installed any programs and no risky websites or anything like that

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

In safe mode I would scan with comodo and see if it picks anything up. Other than that I have no idea what else could be causing this, usually with this type of issue it is either an issue with overheating or hard drive failure. You might have a file system error,

To fix file errors or attempt to fix them do this:

Try running a chkdsk.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

*To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Edited by computerxpds, 23 August 2010 - 02:48 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 DakotaJ98

DakotaJ98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:08 AM

ive tried running comodo in safe mode and it wont let me for some reason says that theres an error and cant run but i was able to run it while i wasnt in safe mode yesterday and i did have some virus's and cleaned them up i also ran MBAM and cleaned up what it picked up

#7 DakotaJ98

DakotaJ98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

ok just ran the chkhdsk and nothing came up as bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users