Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building My First Computer

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 What The Who

What The Who

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

So I'm building my first computer, and as the description said, I just want to make sure everything will work good and right. It's not for anything in particular, I just want a powerful computer that will last me awhile. I'm not looking to overclock (not right now anyway), and I never really torture my computers (editing vdeo in the background while playing HL2 with 8 open browser windows).

The parts are here at Newegg. And it's all going in a Raidmax Scorpio 668 Full Tower case, here.

Any comments or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I had a hard time deciding whether to go with IDE or SATA hard drives, but eventually I had to go with the SATA WD Raptor's.

I look forward to your opinions.

Many thanks.
"If it doesn't make sense... It's probably true."

- Arlo Guthrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:07 PM

So I'm building my first computer, and as the description said, I just want to make sure everything will work good and right. It's not for anything in particular, I just want a powerful computer that will last me awhile. I'm not looking to overclock (not right now anyway), and I never really torture my computers (editing vdeo in the background while playing HL2 with 8 open browser windows).

The parts are here at Newegg. And it's all going in a Raidmax Scorpio 668 Full Tower case, here.

Any comments or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I had a hard time deciding whether to go with IDE or SATA hard drives, but eventually I had to go with the SATA WD Raptor's.

I look forward to your opinions.

Many thanks.

I noticed that you should maybe try doing two 512 sticks instead of a single gig stick. At least thats the advice I've heard.

#3 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

The only problem with that is, if I use 512 mb sticks, I can only get up to 2 gb of RAM total. I'd much prefer having 4 Gb of RAM. I've never heard of 1 Gb sticks causing problems though, I'll have to look into that. Thank you.

:thumbsup:

- Arlo Guthrie

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:11 AM

In most instances more is better, but if I may ask what do you need 4 gb of RAM for?
Why a floppy? You would be better server with a DVDrom to speed up dubbing CDs and DVDs. Or a 1gb USB flash drive.
You could also add a high end chip cooler. You are going to have a lot of heat in the case. Atleast 2 -120mm case fans. You want hi CFMs. I have found large fans turn slower and are somewhat quiter.
Oh yeah. Don't forget that second transformer at the power meter to supply that moster. :thumbsup:
Looks like a great system. Enjoy.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:42 AM

Why do I need 4 gb of RAM?? Well... I don't. The whole computer amounts to a beautiful machine I don't need. But I want it anyway. :thumbsup: I want a floppy for the same reason I want the media card reader... just incase that format comes my way. I am getting a couple CD/DVD burners, but maybe a standard CD/DVD ROM would be a good idea. As for cooling, the case comes with 6 80 mm fans, but I will look into a good chip cooler. Any suggestions?

Don't forget that second transformer at the power meter to supply that moster.

You don't think the 510 watt PS will be enough? This is as far as my knowledge goes though.. I know nothing about Transformers or Power Meters.

The only part I have bought so far is the case and I plan on spending quite a bit of time reading the manuals for everything before I try putting anything together. I know better than that. No matter how much you think you know, ALWAYS read the manuals.

- Arlo Guthrie

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:18 AM

Why do I need 4 gb of RAM?? Well... I don't. The whole computer amounts to a beautiful machine I don't need. But I want it anyway. :thumbsup: I want a floppy for the same reason I want the media card reader... just incase that format comes my way. I am getting a couple CD/DVD burners, but maybe a standard CD/DVD ROM would be a good idea. As for cooling, the case comes with 6 80 mm fans, but I will look into a good chip cooler. Any suggestions?

Don't forget that second transformer at the power meter to supply that moster.

You don't think the 510 watt PS will be enough? This is as far as my knowledge goes though.. I know nothing about Transformers or Power Meters.

The only part I have bought so far is the case and I plan on spending quite a bit of time reading the manuals for everything before I try putting anything together. I know better than that. No matter how much you think you know, ALWAYS read the manuals.

4gb. I want, there fore I buy. Good reason.

I didn't see the 2 DVD burns, but that would be enough.

I was picking on you about the extra transformer. I was referring to the power company needing to supply more electricity to your home to feed your coomputer. Bad joke.
Sounds like you have it covered. Have fun. :flowers:

#7 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:36 AM

:thumbsup: No no, it's a good joke. I just wasn't thinking in "joke" terms.

I will have fun with it, just so long as all of the parts get along with eachother. :flowers:

- Arlo Guthrie

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:44 AM

It's some system you got there. :thumbsup:

I'll add my comments also.

About the power supply, I'm not 100% sure 510W is enough; you might want to add a bit more just in case, and make sure the it's from a quality vendor.

Four things about the RAM: One, make sure the motherboard can handle 4GB at 400MHz. There are motherboards out there the can take 4GB at 266/333MHz and only 2GB at 400MHz. Two, with a 32 bit OS you wont be able to use the full 4GB of RAM, nor can the shouthbridge use full 4GB. Three, why registered RAM? Four, make sure your RAM is lista among the motherboards supported RAMs.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:02 AM

Is registered RAM bad? I guess I don't really understand the difference between Registered and Unregistered.

Everything I've read says the mobo will be able to handle the RAM. But maybe you know something I don't?

And for the power supply, about how much wattage would you reccomend?

- Arlo Guthrie

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

On ECC/Registered RAM:

Originally developed for servers ECC is wider than normal RAM (8 ECC bits for 64bit wide RAM) and slower. It stores a code with the data to detect corruption. For a single bit error, the error can be corrected on the fly. The multibit errors can be detected, but not corrected. That data is retried then assumed lost and the chipset marks the transaction as failed, generates an NMI which instructs the system to shut down. ECC is useful where performance doesn't matter as much but absolute dead certain 100% system availability does. Multibit errors will cause a system failure, but won't cause data corruption. Thankfully, they're exceptionally rare.

It also is more expensive, and many motherboards don't support it.

As for the power supply, I'm not sure 510W isn't enough, but better to have a some extra. It will help with system stability and then you have some room for expansion (another hard drive for example). 550W or even 600W isn't completely crazy.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:54 PM

Unregistered RAM it is then!

Take a look. I switched to Unbuffered RAM, and an 850 watt PS. The new PS is huge, and I've already measured to make sure it'll fit my case. Here's the new list.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Anymore thoughts or ideas are more than welcome.

- Arlo Guthrie

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

Would you adopt me. :thumbsup:

I thought I was hot poop when I upgraded from a P-I 233mhx (socket 7) to a P-III 500mhx.

#13 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:03 AM

Sorry, I don't do adoptions. Besides, I'll be way to occupied with this beast of a computer.

It's sucks though, my motherboard has been removed from the Newegg site. It was out of stock for a few days and now it's gone. I hope it comes back soon. :thumbsup:

- Arlo Guthrie

#14 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:48 AM

Don't worry, when it comes to motherboards there is always alternatives.

#15 What The Who

What The Who
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

Yeah, I'm sure another one will come along if that one doesn't come back, but the one I had (an MSI) was so perfect. I had already checked to make sure every single piece would work with that Mobo. I don't want to go through all that again with a different Mobo.

Que sera, I suppose.

Anyone know about the quality of the heatsink and fan that comes with the AMD processor (link in first post in this thread)? Are they decent? or would I save myself headaches by just getting a different heatsink/fan set right of the bat?

- Arlo Guthrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users