Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Copy Files From Attached Drives To Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ericp

ericp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

I recently came across a pretty strange problem that I have not seen before. I'm stumped.
I have been trying to upload a large number of files from both a cd and a removable zio drive with a digital camera card. I cannot copy the pictures to a hard drive location (like my pictures) by the drag and drop method or by cut and paste. I tried to do this from windows explorer - no go. had the problem for a couple of months but have not loaded any new software that I know of. I downloaded lates firefox, that did not solve the problem either. The digital camera drive and the cd both work. I can open individual picutes from an application such as photoshop but I just can copy the pictures to the hard drive nor can i upload them to a phot site such as shutterfly.
Weird huh? :thumbsup:
anyone with any ideas how I can get out of this mess would be my hero. Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:29 AM

I've never seen a zip drive with a digital camera card so someone else will have to help you there. As for copying the pictures from the CD to your hard drive, do you have enough space on your hard drive? Have you tried the CD in another computer and tried copying there?

Also it is always a good idea when you have strange problems, to clear your Cookies, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders. And run an anti-spyware program and anti-virus program to cover those bases too.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

In your camera's utility setting, does it have a protective mode? It should work like the write protect tab on a floppy. It will make your files read only.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 ericp

ericp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

don't know why I said Zip. That type of drive was so 90s. Its made by Zio and is an older style card - sandisk 64. sorry 'bout that.
I have a version of panda around that I will run to see if it can find anything.
I don't think the camera has a write protect on it because I can add or delete pictures to the disk while it is in the camera at will.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:17 AM

This is just a workaround, not a solution, but if you can open the camera pics in an application e.g. Irfanview then can't you just click File>Save As and select a destination folder on your hard drive?
How much free space do you have?
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 03 November 2005 - 12:19 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 ericp

ericp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

Ran Panda and it found no viruses in either memory or harddrive.
the harddrive has 19 GB left.
I can open in an application and save out to the hard drive. One picture at a time of course.
these picture files are about 300k each so I should have plenty of memory.
Is there a way to show what the computer errors/messages are. When I try to copy a picture I hear a "bing" meaning the computer did something but there is no error message.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:55 PM

The 'bing' usually means you are trying to select something when the 'focus' is elsewhere.
Try again using Windows Explorer but not with a full screen window, perhaps there is a pop-under window opening elsewhere (though don't ask me why this should happen). Does it 'bing' if you only select one file to copy?

There might be error messages in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. Pick an entry by date and time then right click for details.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 ericp

ericp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

Can't find anything that resembles administrative tools in control pannel. Searched for Administrative tools and event viewer as well and couldn't find anything. Are those definitely 98 features?
The "bing" seems to only be heard when I try to copy and paste the files. It does it with one or more - same thing.
One weird thing does happen when I try to drag and drop a file onto the desktop. The "my computer" icon is automatically highlighted when I let go of the mouse to "drop the file(s) on the desktop. Does that mean anything?
Nothing seems to happen with windows explorer either. Even with the window less than screen size.

The 'bing' usually means you are trying to select something when the 'focus' is elsewhere.
Try again using Windows Explorer but not with a full screen window, perhaps there is a pop-under window opening elsewhere (though don't ask me why this should happen). Does it 'bing' if you only select one file to copy?

There might be error messages in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. Pick an entry by date and time then right click for details.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Are those definitely 98 features?

No. My brain's in XP mode these days, forgetting 98 stuff - sorry.

I found this interesting tip here:

If you ever find that you are unable to copy and paste in the Windows Explorer, open the Control Panel. Select the Internet Options applet and click on the Security tab. Then click on Custom Setting, find the option "Drag and copy or paste" and ensure that it is enabled.

- could it be that easy?

Edited by Rimmer, 05 November 2005 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users