Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

different softwares malfunctioned 5 times in 5 days.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sidhardtha

sidhardtha

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

It seems like my PC is losing it's settings.

Do you think my PSU is failing?

My memory and processor were sufficient before.

I have a Dell Dimension C521. Here's the specs. AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core. 2.1 Ghz. 2 GB of Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz).

Memory DIMM slots: 4 available. 280 Watt DC Power Supply. I think the graphics card is an 'Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphic GPU.'

Vista ultimate 32-bit. I think my computer is 3.5 years old. I multi-task. I leave my computer on for about 16 hours. I am not a gamer.

I don't do much graphics or multi-media encoding. Should I add more memory? Is my hard drive, motherboard or memory failing?

Is there a software for testing the motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sidhardtha, 23 August 2010 - 12:57 AM.

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:08 AM

Hi, and welcome to Bleepingcomputers .

It seems like my PC is losing it's settings. ??

I think you need to explain this statement a little more ,what settings
you computer is getting old but I'm sure it still good enough [better specs than mine and mine is fine for what i do]for what you do,more ram wouldn't hurt

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

Hello sidhardtha and I also want to welcome you to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your specs above, Your PSU has a 280 Watt output, that by todays standards isn't much, but then again, it depends on what it has to power up.

You said your computer does not seem to be saving its settings, I am curious if you are referring to your BIOS settings.

If this is the case, you may have a CMOS backup battery on the motherboard that is either weak or has died already.

These batteries are cheap and easy to replace, here is directions for this. http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

As for memory, you have 2 GB and a 32 Bit OS, so 2 GB is not bad for this type of OS, specially if you don't do a whole lot of multitasking or gaming. But if you wanted to add more, I am sure you could add 1 GB more, as 32 Bit OSes can only support 3 GB of memory anyways.

As for if anything is failing such as your motherboard, hard drive or memory, this would be a possibility you were encountering a lot of errors, crashes or blue screens, if this is the case, we can help you diagnose this by running software that checks, the processor, memory or hard drive, but each is checked by a program that is specific to that piece of hardware.

Do you feel you have an issue with a specific piece of hardware?

If so, voice your concerns and we'll point you to a program or programs that will test that piece of hardware for problems.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

"Hello sidhardtha and I also want to welcome you to Bleepingcomputer." Thank you both.

"You said your computer does not seem to be saving its settings" My quick launch settings changed twice. My icons on a software disappeared once. My mouse and curser quit working twice. I replaced the mouse and changed USB ports to no avail. I solved that problem temporarily by doing a forced shut down. My wallpaper quit appearing full screen. I tried a system restore and an SFC/ scannow to no avail.

"As for if anything is failing such as your motherboard, hard drive or memory, this would be a possibility you were encountering a lot of errors, crashes or blue screens"no blue screens or crashes. 1 freeze though. "if this is the case, we can help you diagnose this by running software that checks, the processor, memory or hard drive, but each is checked by a program that is specific to that piece of hardware" I ran memtest for over an hour. it checked ok.

"Do you feel you have an issue with a specific piece of hardware?" I asked this on another forum. A guy said he thought my PSU was malfunctioning due to age.

"If so, voice your concerns and we'll point you to a program or programs that will test that piece of hardware for problems." Thank you.

Edited by sidhardtha, 24 August 2010 - 04:30 AM.

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

#5 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:08 AM

I just tried writing a dvd while running a 2nd software. it sounded like the dvd writer was chewing the CD up.

I tried it a 2nd time with no other software on. it worked. This is a new and different problem.

Edited by sidhardtha, 24 August 2010 - 04:32 AM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

I am going to offer you some free programs to which monitor other features of your computer.

First these three programs can monitor computer temperatures and power supply ratings.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

SPECCY http://www.piriform.com/speccy This program does some monitoring as well.

I seen where you said you had some icons disappearing, this may have happened because sometimes Vista offers to clean unused icons from the desktop, this option is offered every so often when windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 boots up. Just clicking the X to close this offer, stops it from doing this clean up, however if it is selected, it will remove the short cuts from your desk top.

This may be why your icon has disappeared.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

I seen where you said you had some icons disappearing, this may have happened because sometimes Vista offers to clean unused icons from the desktop, this option is offered every so often when windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 boots up. Just clicking the X to close this offer, stops it from doing this clean up, however if it is selected, it will remove the short cuts from your desk top. I never click on that x.

Thank you for your help.

This may be why your icon has disappeared.

Edited by sidhardtha, 25 August 2010 - 01:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users