Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Identical Laptops, can I install OS Disks from one in other

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hpzd8000

hpzd8000

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

I have an HP zd8000 laptop that the screen went out on. I bought a brand new Toshiba 18.4" unit but it came w/Win 7 which has had me have to install a version of AOL that is useless for my application needs and since the audio is defectiive, I'm going to return it.

I'm looking at a ZD8000 that is complete minus battery which is fine as I never used my current system on battery and it also comes with no OS. I'm hoping someone can tell me if the two disks titled "Operating System DVD" and then "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition2005" below that and a second disk titled "Application and Driver Recovery CD" can be used on the other unit and if that's all I'd need with the identical unit advertised as coming with No OS.

Thanks for any assistance in advance

Rob

Edited by hpzd8000, 23 August 2010 - 12:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

Hi hpzd8000, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I don't see any problems with compatibility, but using the disk to install the operating system could be a problem. When Microsoft recognizes a legitimate copy of Windows it remembers the motherboard. So the problem here is that you are going to install this copy of Windows on another computer with a different motherboard. You are going to need to come up with a compelling reason for using on this second computer. You will also need to convince them that the other computer will not be used again.

Good luck.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:58 AM

Ok, well that's informational Arachibutyrophobia.................Thanks. If I were to purchase
Microsoft Windows XP Home Disc with SP2, COA and key would that be all I need as long as
the laptop I'm looking at is what it's stated to be, just missing the OS?

Rob

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

In this case it would be worth giving Microsoft a call and explain that the computer which originally had the OS on it is beyond repair and that you wish to use the OS on the new purchase which doesn't include the OS. Can't hurt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

I'm sorry Arachibutyrophobia, just how would I go about doing that?

Rob

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

You will have to Google or what ever search engine you use to find their customer support number and then explain that the computer that you have is no longer working. Then explain that you wish to use the OS of the old one to use in the newly purchased one.

You have a valid copy of Windows, correct? You have the product key? If you can answer yes to these questions you may be able to get them to make the switch.

#7 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

The tech support number is 1800-MICROSO (it should be MICROSOFT but I left out the two extra letters that would render the number retarded.) so 1-800-642-7676. Don't ask me why I have it memorized. This is just a switchboard number that lets you choose tech support customer support that stuff.

Edited by Shadow Bird, 23 August 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#8 hpzd8000

hpzd8000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks, I actually located a # for Microsoft today but I don't remember if it's the one you've offered. When I called they wanted to "sell" me tech support.......I don't know how much they
would want and I didn't stick around to ask.

I thought my question would be a simple one both here and to Microsoft, I guess I was wrong
or at least in a sense. I was advised re: not being able to and/or having the right to install the
OS intended for one ZD8000 on another ZD8000, I got that. I called a local PC Store to try to
get an answer on purchasing a new XP Home and I was told I may spend hours trying to locate
and install drivers so I guess nothing is quite as simple as I'd thought :thumbsup:

Edited by hpzd8000, 23 August 2010 - 08:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users