Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transferring files wirelessly from xp to 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tapcc13

tapcc13

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

so the two computers are both on the same wireless network. just want to move all the important files from old computer to new one. what do i need to do? i cant figure it out. someone please help. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

The easiest way I can think of doing this is to boot Windows XP and open up "My computer" then Right click on the Hard drive that has the files on it. and go to "sharing" then when the window pops up click on "understand the risk..." and on the window there is "advanced sharing" click the check near "share this folder". Then you can go on to your Windows 7 computer and go to "network" and find the files. I it says when you are browsing to a folder on the Windows XP drive that "access is denied" you will have to go to the XP computer and move the files that you want to copy to the root of the drive before you will be able to access the files.

#3 DonnieG

DonnieG

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:26 PM

No need to move the files. Just ensure that they are shared. Did the same on my network about a month ago. xp home --> win7 home premium. home wireless network.

#4 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

No need to move the files.

You will need to move them if it says access denied. Because no matter what you do you cannot access the Windows XP my documents folder from over a network.
'Have 3 Windows XP 1 Windows 2000 and one Windows 7 computers all on one network.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users