Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop (which used to connect to my wireless network) no longer connects after my friend connected with hers, HELP!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ann6dash5

ann6dash5

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

Sorry for the redundancy in the title, but i couldn't think of a better way to phrase my problem.

I have comcast internet and installed a netgear wireless router (rangemax wireless-n 150 router). I connected to it with my old dell inspiron laptop (windows XP Professional service pack 2, and 1394 net adapter, broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller and Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 BG network connection). It connected perfectly fine and I used it for about 2 weeks with no problems at all. I set up the router with WPA2-PSK secruity and a password. One day, when my friend came over, she connected to it with her laptop (a lenovo T61 with Intel 82566MM Gigabit network connection) and at the same exact moment she connected to my network, I got kicked off of the connection on my Dell.

Ever since then, which was about 3 weeks ago, I have been unable to connect to my wireless connection with my dell. I tried calling comcast and netgear and they were unable to come up with a solution. I tried reinstalling the netgear router, deleting the network on my computer, and other solutions that came to mind but none of them work and I still can't connect. When trying to connect, I would just get the message that my computer was "validating identity" of my network, and it would just never connect. Also, any other new laptops can connect to my network, but my original dell still won't

I really don't know what to do at this point as calling customer service didn't help. I remembered these forums which had helped me a while ago for a different problem and am hoping you can come up with a solution for my problem. Let me know if you need any other info from me and thank you so much!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

Can you connect to any other networks with your laptop ? McDonalds, coffee shop hotspot, etc ? "Validating Identity" sounds like you somehow got switched into 802.11x authentication method, but deleting and re-adding the network interface should have cleared that. Are you using Windows to manage the connection or the Intel PRO/Set wireless tools ? You might check that 802.11x is turned off on both the wireless router and your wireless card. Even if it was on it shouldn't have kept you from connecting unless it was configured, but stranger things have happened.

#3 ann6dash5

ann6dash5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

yes, i can still connect to other connections on the laptop, it seems that i only can't connect to my network. i have always used windows to manage the connection, im not sure if i can use intel to manage it but i can try to figure that out

i usually have 802.11x turned on and can connect fine. i tried turning it off and it prompted me for a network key, but when i tried to connect with my previous password it doesnt connect and says the password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network connection. i am not exactly sure how to turn off 802.11x on my wireless router but i can try to figure that out too.

i'm not the most computer savvy so please bear with me. any other suggestions would be great as i try these out, thanks!

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

The prompt for 40 or 104 bit key means your router is running (or your computer THINKS your router is running) in WEP mode, not WPA or WPA2. Double check the setting in your router configuration (it should be pretty obvious). You really want to be running WPA or WPA2 if you can. Also, if you see a setting in the router for "Open" or "Shared Key" set it to "Open" for WPA or WPA2. This option doesn't even show up on most routers, but if it's there it is confusing and often set wrong.

The Shared Key setting is used to force authentication AT THE TIME OF CONNECTION and was used only with WEP, setting up encryption before the connection was even established. WPA and WPA2 allow the connection (Open Authentication) , then force the authentication and credentials exchange while preventing any other traffic flows until it is complete. If the setting is "Shared Key" and encryption is WPA or WPA2 you will never be able to connect because WPA doesn't have the right credentials for the shared key and never gets to the stage where it's own credentials can be checked.

#5 ann6dash5

ann6dash5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

Hi, I tried everything you said.

I set my router to WPA-PSK security and made sure my laptop was reading the same type of security, yet I still get the message of "validating identity" when trying to connect ot the network. I also get a message in the bottom right tray that says it failed to find a certificate to log me in to the network. I also tried changing the settings of the router to WEP security and my computer sitll could not connect. One more thing I tried was resetting the router completely, and I still got the same problem connecting to the resetted router. My friends' laptops can connect to the network, and my original laptop can still connect to other connections.
My original laptop just can't seem to connect to this specific wireless router anymore and I can't figure it out.

I've already spent a couple hours on this and am starting to get a little fed up. Any other advice would be great, and I udnderstand its hard to figure out my problem by just my descriptions. thanks again!

#6 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

OK, for some reason your laptop is trying to use an Enterprise security profile for this network, 802.1x with preshared keys. The issue appears to be on your laptop. It is certainly odd. You said before that you had deleted and re-added the network and that didn't fix it, which is curious as well. Let's try something else. Log into your router and change the SSID (broadcast network name) of your network. Then try to find the new network on your laptop and connect to it. This should create an entirely new profile and hopefully work around your problem. Let us know what happens, please. This isn't a fix, but should narrow down the problem and may be a valid work-around for you.

#7 ann6dash5

ann6dash5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

Hi, I changed the SSID and tried connecting to it but got the same message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you onto the network."

Also, one other thing that seems odd to me is that when I go to the properties of the network connection and change them to match the same type of the security as the router (WPA-PSK), I'll change the settings to the correct ones for the router and hit OK. Then, if I try to look at the settings again, it will have changed the settings back to "Network Authentication - Open" and "Data encryption - WEP." I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems like when I change the properties for that connection, my computer isnt listening.
thank you again

#8 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

OK, something is decidedly wrapped around it's own axle here. Check to make sure you have the latest available drivers for your wireless card, if not get and install them. Then in the Device Manager delete the wireless card. Reboot and Windows should find and re-install it. See if you get better results then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users