Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual-boot xp pro and W7 HP vs XP mode in W7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rk-ic

rk-ic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

I have a new notebook PC that runs W7 and am very pleased with it. The problem is I have many older programs and peripheral hardware that will work only with XP. I already own a copy of XP pro. So my question is, which is recommended: XP Pro and W7 HP dual-boot or shell out more money and upgrade to Ultimate W7? I wanted a decent performance laptop to do a lot of video editing and is the main reason I purchased this one. I could spend well over $200 and buy new programs and new video editing peripherals but that's even more than upgrading W7 HP to Ultimate! Not to mention a new editing program to learn. I'm on a tight budget but could save up to get the upgrades required in 3 - 6 months.

PC General Specs:
Asus G72GX
6 GB Ram
1 GB Video memory (not shared)
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile P8700 (2.53 GHz) - allows for XP V-mode
400 GB free space on internal HDD

If I have only the recovery disk for W7 will it be even possible to put on W7 after I put XP Pro onto the notebook or it allow the dual-boot?
I have heard that XP mode on W7 runs somewhat slow. This will defeat the purpose of video editing if the PC is slowed down to much.

I would really appreciate the advice this site has to offer. Please be patient as that I travel somewhat through the week and the company laptop is strict.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

if you currently have Windows XP pro(a unused copy) i would recommend Dual booting because it will give you the most performance but if you do not have a Windows 7 disc then you will have to barrow one from a friend because a recovery disc will not work because you have to install Windows XP then Win7. My only other suggestion would be to download Virtual Box which is free and install Windows XP virtually so you don't have to dual boot.

The best way to go is to install Windows XP and then dual boot with windows 7 but if you don't want to dual boot you will lose a bit of performance but you could use virtual box.

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

I second the notion of dual booting. It is very easy to do. I had the same issues as you, so that is why I kept my XP, even tho now I find my self using it less and less.

Here is a link on how to set up your dual boot...

Dual Boot W7 and XP

#4 rk-ic

rk-ic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to get some advice and also it is unanimous - even better. I'll give the dual boot a go and my fall back position will to be to use Virtual Box inside of W7. With the instructions that was included with the reply it should go as planned.

Another question does arise though - when I borrow the W7 install disk how will I incorporate my Key-code? When during the W7 installation it asks for the Key-code do I just put in the one given with the computer and not the installation disk? (since the W7 installation disk I'm borrowing is already in use on my friend's computer). Could it be that straightforward?

Thanks again for the advice.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

<<Another question does arise though - when I borrow the W7 install disk how will I incorporate my Key-code? When during the W7 installation it asks for the Key-code do I just put in the one given with the computer and not the installation disk? (since the W7 installation disk I'm borrowing is already in use on my friend's computer). Could it be that straightforward?>>

The previous instructions/suggestions were provided based on the assumption that you have a valid license to install whatever version of Win 7. If Win 7 HP came on your laptop...then you can only install Win 7 HP from someone else's disk, using your license.

I must suggest to you that using your friend's key for two installs...those are the sorts of things that get licenses on the compromised key list which Microsoft maintains.

Quote from the BC Discussion Forum Rules: "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

I would assume that the asus laptop came with a legal copy of win 7 home premium installed?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

XP can be installed after Win 7....see the link provided by Austin Terry.

Louis

#8 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

Key-code do I just put in the one given with the computer and not the installation disk?

Yes, when it asks for the Key code you will put in the valid key code that you have, inputing your friends would be illegal. On the Bottom of you laptop there will be a code that is the code that you enter.

#9 rk-ic

rk-ic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Yes, I do have a legitimate copy of W7 HP - the one that came pre-installed on the notebook. I do certainly want to use that copy when I reinstall W7 HP. I can imagine that my friend's W7 is already registered besides I would want the one I paid for (indirectly through ASUS but still paid for).

I hope that he has a W7 HP. I am new to W7 but I assume to be able to use my key code his installation disk will have to W7 HP as well? If not someone I know will have HP. But if no one I know has one I'll revert to Plan B.

I am glad that after reading the replies that it was mentioned that the key code is on the underside of the notebook. I had forgotten that and now won't have to search the forum to find the instructions on how to find the key code in the bowels of W7. But I may anyway just to become more familiar with W7. :-)

Thanks again

#10 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

Let us know how it goes.

#11 rk-ic

rk-ic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

It isn't going all that great at the moment. My friends copy of W7 is the Pro version so I decided to follow the instructions (Method Two) from the Windows Seven Forum. I used 'Shrink the Windows 7 volume' and let W7 create a new healthy partition and formatted it (used the quick method). W7 immediately recognized it after the formatting was complete. I rebooted back to W7, well because I'm use to having to do that after creating a new partition and to make sure it remained. Rebooted again with XP Pro CD and it made it all the way until it tried to 'Start Windows'. The BSoD (B7 stop error) reared it's ugly head and after repeating the XP install the BSoD also repeated.

Now what? I know I can set the new partition as active but if that isn't the reason W7 will not boot up - unless the Fix Mbr commands works for that as well? The XP installation setup process never asked for a SATA driver. Would it not ask for one if needed? The drive is a Seagate Momentus SATA 2 (500 GB total - the new partition is 120 GB). Could it be that the drive size (total) is not recognized by XP or should it have prompted for a SATA 2 driver and did not for some reason or another? This version of XP Pro is somewhat old (Version 2002 - so it doesn't even have SP2 included with it).

thanks

#12 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

You will need to install a SATA driver when you first put in the Windows XP disc when it says something like "install third party driver press F_". Otherwise Windows XP will not install, i believe that that is you problem if you don't get to select a hard drive before is Blue Screens.

You will also need to do a clean install of Windows XP then install Windows 7 because the Windows XP installer will not recognize the Windows 7 install. So you will need to format you entire hard drive and wipe it clean(Back-up data before formatting). Then install XP then 7.

EDIT: It would not ask you for a driver because it wont know there is a drive that needs one unless you tell it. And, i did say in my first post that windows Xp needed to be installed first.

Edited by TheTechDude, 31 August 2010 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users