Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TrojanDownloader:win32/Unruy.D

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hit Elev

Hit Elev

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum, hope I've posted this in the right place.

Yesterday, after turning on my PC, Windows Defender detected a severe threat with the following scan results:

Name: TrojanDownloader:win32/Unruy.D
Alert level: Severe
Action: Remove

Category: Trojan Horse
Description: This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.
Advice: Removes this software immediately
Resources: process: pid:668
process: pid:812
File: C:\System Volume Information\Microsoft\smss.exe
File: C:\System Volume Information\Microsoft\services.exe

When I hit the Remove All button, the following message appears:
Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x80501001. One or more actions could not be completed successfully.

My PC is running on Windows XP Home Edition Ver 2002 SP3. I also have CA Anti-virus software installed in my PC but it is not detecting anything serious.

I have tried searching the internet for a possible solution and is now at my wits' end. I would be most grateful if you could help me solve this issue.

Thank you and regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

Let's see if cleaning the restore points eliminates this from the next scan.

Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Hit Elev

Hit Elev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thank you for your immediate attention.

I've done as per your instructions but when I reboot the PC again, the threat is still there. This is the scan results from Windows Defender:

Category:
Trojan Downloader

Description:
This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.

Advice:
Remove this software immediately.

Resources:
process:
pid:680

file:
C:\System Volume Information\Microsoft\services.exe

process:
pid:940

file:
C:\System Volume Information\Microsoft\smss.exe

Summary:
Application Execution change occurred.

This agent scans software just before it runs. You are alerted if the software has a high potential for harming your computer.

Checkpoint:
Running Processes

Any suggestions what to do next?

Thank you.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

You're most welcome.
I have never seen the Restore Points fail to clear once turned off then on.

We will need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Include the last log you posted. Mention in your topic that this returned after creating a New System Restore Point..
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Hit Elev

Hit Elev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

I've done step 6 to 8, but it seems like I cannot run the GMER program stated in step 9. When I click on it, the gmer screen with the options is displayed very shortly and immediately went into a blue screen with the following details:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sur any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this si a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory optins such as caching or shadowing. If you need touse safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x895EA638, 0x895EAE60, 0x1B050033

Begininning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support assistance.

I've tried it 3 times and all goes into the same blue screen.

I'm sorry that this is giving you some extra unexpected problems. Awaiting for your further instructions.

#6 Hit Elev

Hit Elev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Oops sorry, it should be step 6 and 7 that i've done and hit an error in step 8. I'm sorry for the mistake.

#7 Hit Elev

Hit Elev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

I've created a new topic in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.

Thank you for your patience and kind guidance.

Edited by Hit Elev, 22 August 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users