Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete cessation of wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hi everyone. My problem -- after using my PCs to test a friend's router, one of my PCs will not reconnect to my own router (they both connected successfully to my friend's router). The other of my two PCs immediately connected to my own router after I set it back up.

Details:

-Each router is a Linksys. I have been using a WRT54GC without any problems (until now) for probably 5 years. My friend's is a WRT54G2.
-Each of my PCs has a linksys wireless PCI adapter, I think the one in the computer that is currently connected to the network has the SpeedBooster option.
-For network connectivity, I use the Wireless Zero Configuration service on both PCs.
-In my network, I had the now-defunct PC bonded to a static IP outside the DHCP range of my router since I used it as an http server every now and then. The other one was assigned an ip by the router's DHCP server.

I disconnected this router from my modem and unplugged it, then did the inverse with my friend's router to test it. I reset the G2 router's firmware using the 'reset' button on the unit and each of my PCs connected immediately (i changed the ip address of the one with a static ip to be recieved by the DHCP).

Once that was done, i hooked my router back up, in both PCs used the wireless zero config to search available wireless networks, and connected to my old network. The problem is, the PC that originally had the static ip did not reconnect. The other once connected without a hitch.

To solve the problem, I have reverted my ip back to a static one, entered in the DNS's, etc., but it will simply not connected to my wireless LAN. I deleted the LAN of the test router from the list of networks to automatically join. I reset the firmware of my router, and re-added my PC to the static ip list. rebooted both pcs many times, one connects and the other wont. they existed in harmony for 2 years without a problem until I had them connect to a different router. I dont know which direction to take.

Any ideas, anyone? Thank you so much for your time.

Sorry for the length,
tl;dr computer wont connect to my router after testing a friend's router

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

No one's ran into this problem before? Any suggestions?

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

OK, this is a strange one. I can think of a couple of possibilities. 1) Your computer firewall has somehow determined that the IP address of your router is evil and should be prevented from communicating. The problem with this is that you should still get a connection, it just shouldn't pass traffic. Or 2) The router has somehow decided the MAC address of your computer is evil and refuses to allow a connection. This actually seems the most likely, but I can't imagine how it got into that condition unless you specifically blocked your own MAC address in the filter list on the router.

I believe the WRT54G series has a log option that can be turned on. If you can, turn it on and see what happens in the log when you try to connect the odd computer. Check the logs on your system too, there may be something of interest in there as well. You can also try swapping the wireless cards between the two computers and see if the problem follows the card.

You may be able to reset the router to factory defaults or, even better, flash it with the latest code downloaded from Linksys/Cisco. Alternatively you could use (maybe, depending on the router version) DD-WRT or OpenWRT firmware, both of which give a lot more options and visibility than the factory firmware.

You are on the right track, swapping out parts to try and isolate the problem component, we just need to take it farther down that road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users