Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't setup ad hoc network betwn laptop and printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chuckchuck

chuckchuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Greetings all, and thanks for any help!

I recently got a Dell Studio17 laptop with all manner of wireless capability, and at the same time I got a Dell v515w printer with WiFi capability. I assumed it would be easy to set up an ad hoc network so my laptop and printer could communicate with one another, but I can't seem to make it work.

Firstly, for this exercise, lets assume I do not have a router, and in fact...to emphasize the pure laptop-to-printer relationship that I am seeking to establish...lets assume for now I don't even have Internet access. Can I still set up an ad hoc network with neither a router nor Internet access? If so, read on...

I created an ad hoc network on my laptop...though I suspect now I did something wrong, or missed some step...but when I try to get my printer to find the ad hoc network by using the printer's wireless setup wizard, I get to the screen that has the following steps...

Configure the Printer
Resetting the Printer
Connecting to Wireless Networks
Acquiring Network Address
Communicating with the Printer

...and somewhere in the middle of that set of actions, the process hits the wall. I get some message about being unable to connect to the network. For the record, my ad hoc network was on, and the laptop was connected to the printer via usb.

So here are two areas where I might have gone astray:

(1) SSID: How do I set this? What is it? If I have to set it to the same thing on the laptop and the printer, how do I do this (partic on the printer), and does this mean that I DO need an internet connection to set up an ad hoc network? I saw something online about setting up a "static IP address," but this sounded worrisome to me since I don't want to do anything to screw up my computer's ability to access the internet by messing about with its IP address configurations.

(2) Share settings: I have not changed any of the default sharing settings on my laptop, and I think the defaults are "don't share." Although it sounds obvious that I should enable sharing, I really don't know the implications of all these changes, and I don't want to make my computer anymore vulnerable than necessary. So rather than just go through the settings and click "yes, please share" at every opportunity, I shall wait until I am told explicitly what sharing options to enable.

I have invested about 8 hours in this project already, so any very, VERY, explicit help (dumbed down about as low as you can go) would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yes you should be able to do this.

SSID -same on both
wireless channel - same on both

You wil need to set you IP manually if you are not using a router with a DHCP server. Use something like IP 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for the PC and IP 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for the printer. leave the default gateway and DNS blank since they are not needed in the limited situation.

Then set up your printer as a network printer using the IP to locate the printer. I think that should do it.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users