Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

graphics card problem? im unsure

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 grrrizzly

grrrizzly

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

For the past week I have been having what appears to be graphics related problems. While I was playing WoW I suddenly got a screen flicker, then seconds later my screen froze and artifacts appeared. I did a hard reboot and noticed that I was getting what appeared to be numerous "apostrophes" (my best explanation) during my BIOS boot screen. Upon getting into Windows I noticed that my graphics card wasn't working and that I had red dots all over my screen.

I took numerous steps as to figure out what the problem was; I physically took apart my computer and air cleaned it, I reinstalled video drivers, I ran a memory test on both sticks of ram, reset my BIOS, I checked for overheating (found no problems), and I reset my graphics card numerous times. There are two things I have yet to try, which are testing a second graphics card and checking to see if my power supply is faulty. The one thing that has been boggling me is that the problem has fixed itself temporarily about five times. I have been unable to recreate the fix (if it even is a fix).

Right now my system seems to be running stable. I am even able to run games for hours without any problems, but as this has happened a few times, I am waiting for the problems to show up again. Yesterday I did notice that when I tried to get into my BIOS setup my screen would go black, but I was still able to navigate through the BIOS with my keyboard; I was able to save changes and exit which in turn rebooted my computer allowing me to see the screen again. One thing I did notice recently is that a folder named "vcs5BGEffects" is now on my C:\ drive, and from googling it I saw nothing good. Where should I start? What info do you need? Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I tried Googling vcs5BGEffects and it really didn't come with anything on the web that was a conclusive answer.

What I suggest is to be sure go to the MalwareBytes download links and download the free version of MalwareBytes, update it and do a FULL scan.

Mawarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Please copy and past your log in your next reply.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 grrrizzly

grrrizzly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

Here's the log. Didn't find anything.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4464

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

8/22/2010 9:48:12 AM
mbam-log-2010-08-22 (09-48-12).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 244183
Time elapsed: 34 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

You said that vcs5BGEffects folder had all text files in it?

I see the word effects in the name however I see VCS so I googled VCS and came up with this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCS

And this http://www.synopsys.com/tools/verification.../pages/vcs.aspx

Do these seem to relate to whats in that folder?

Those VCS links are related to video games.

Just trying to solve the mystery as to what that folder is for.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

As for your artifacts showing up in your video, you may have a failing video processor.

If you like to try to trouble-shoot your video issue a little further try using this link as a guide.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.html

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

#6 grrrizzly

grrrizzly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Ah, I figured out what the folder is for. It creates logs for a voice changing program I installed some time ago, and just recently uninstalled. I can't believe I missed that. So from the looks of it, it's not a problem. On another note, it's been a few hours without any problems with my graphics card, but I still know something is up since this has happened before. I tried recreating the problem by running a game, but nothing so far. About an hour ago I was watching a video to try and recreate the problem and my computer froze for a few seconds, and my audio went into a loop and then suddenly the problem stopped. I'm still clueless as to what the real culprit is. With no spare hardware to test with, I'm kind of stuck here.

#7 grrrizzly

grrrizzly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to read it and get back to you if I find out what the problem is.

#8 grrrizzly

grrrizzly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

Well, the problems are back. From looking at pictures of common corrupted screens it seems to be a mix of both bad video RAM and a bad GPU. I will hopefully be borrowing a spare video card today to test this. I do have some questions though. I am currently using ASUS Express Gate to access these forums, and I have no video card related problems. Why does the display device seem to get corrupted in the BIOS and Windows, and not in Express Gate? Secondly, what would be causing my BIOS setup to go to a black screen? I am able to navigate the options based off visual memory, but I can't see anything. I do notice that my monitor seems to go into standby right before entering the BIOS.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

I take it your motherboard is an Asus motherboard. Very good motherboard manufacturer, I have an Asus A7V8X motherboard which I am currently using on this system I am typing on. It serves me well, so I have not upgraded as of yet and is my best system out of the 4 I use regularly. LOL yeah I'm clocked at 2000 MHz Processor speed, I have an Dell with a 2.4 Ghz processor that lags like heck. :thumbsup: But that because the darned thing is a server with an on-board 8 Mb video processor that can't be turned off!

Anyway, what model number is your Asus motherboard? I want to check your BIOS firmware updates on the Asus web site and also want to download your Asus motherboard manual to check the BIOS set up section.

Bruce.

#10 grrrizzly

grrrizzly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

It's an ASUS P5Q PRO.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

It's an ASUS P5Q PRO.

Thank you for your quick reply. :thumbsup:

I've looked at the manual for this motherboard before, but being I have looked over so many I want to recheck something...interesting I still have this manual saved on my hard drive.

Be back to you as soon as I check something in the BIOS set up section of the manual real quick and check the Asus web site for the latest BIOS firmware release and what bugs it patches.

Bruce.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hey while Im checking things here at my end, here's the Asus P5Q Pro download page for Windows XP, I believe that's your OS since I seen windows 5.1.2600 listed earlier.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P5Q PRO&SLanguage=en-us

Be back shortly.

Bruce.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Do you have any clue what BIOS version your motherboard currently has?

You can find out by going to system information and look where it says BIOS VERSION/DATE

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Okay I see this motherboard does not have an intergreted graphics card, which was one thing I couldn't recall whether it did or not.

What do you have for a graphics card? I know its an PCI-E type, but what is the make and model number?

Bruce.

#15 grrrizzly

grrrizzly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users