Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FireFox 4 Beta 3 Out!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Well it has been a while since beta 2 was sent out and now we have beta 3, I think that beta 3 is better than the others it seems speedier. :thumbsup: Also the interface seems to be just a little faster. Also new in the beta is is the aforementioned multi touch display which has some pretty fun functionality. See the video on the update page to see more.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Just so everyone is aware, I must add the BETA advisory for those who may forget:

Please note that this program is a pre-release beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

Thanks animal,, I forgot to add that. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

I've been using FF4 on my laptop, since beta 1 and I must admit, it works really nicely.
I'm not sure, if I like tabs being at the top though (Opera-like).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

Just so everyone is aware, I must add the BETA advisory for those who may forget:

Please note that this program is a pre-release beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

*snip*

But I rather enter all my private information then come and complain once someone exploits the browser!!!![/sarcasm]

On a serious note; my desktop is on firefox 4. Its pretty quick. My laptop(which I'm using right now) is higher spec then the desktop, but firefox 4 blows the laptop away(firefox 3.6).

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

@Broni yes I agree im not sure I like them either,, I use both windows 7 on one machine and then a mac,, the mac version of tabs is on top as well and they are harder to use with an older track pad, the windows 7 version I got used to quicker but as I said the jury is still out on that.

@NpaMA one emoticon: :thumbsup: :flowers: Ok maybe two. :trumpet: and cool glad you are seeing a performance improvement. :inlove:

*Computerxpds thinks someone should post a topic for beta 4 when it is released, also does anyone know a date when mozilla plans on officially releasing firefox 4?

Edited by computerxpds, 23 August 2010 - 06:21 AM.

sigcomp.png 

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Sometime in Nov. as far as I know, but of course the date may slip into Dec..
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

Cool thanks jgweed! :thumbsup: I will be patiently waiting it should be good! :flowers: Now being I have been using the beta I am starting to notice certain things that are not rendering right which is odd such as some things are off center and such.. :trumpet: But other wise it is turning into a really really! Nice browser.
sigcomp.png 

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:11 AM

Are the Firefox 3.6.8 compatable add-ons compatable on the V4 Beta3 version?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Most of them are, all betas of firefox have a compatibility checker and will tell you if one is not compatible. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

From my experience, most add-ons are not compatible yet, but there is a workaround, which works fine for me: http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/topic/...__fromsearch__1

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

Well that will work for addons That are actually compatible you just have to be careful with it. As it says:

Important Note: At the moment of the writing of this article, Greasemonkey is really actually incompatible with Firefox 4.0 beta, and continually opens up the homepage with a never-ending list of tabs. The same goes for quite a few extensions that we tested, though some of them worked fine. We’re pretty sure they’ll be updated very soon.

sigcomp.png 

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Well that will work for addons

Hmmm....I guess, that was the question:

Are the Firefox 3.6.8 compatable add-ons compatable on the V4 Beta3 version?.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users