Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard Alt Keys Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 4730z laptop that has just started having a problem. Both alt keys no longer work! I have cleaned the keyboard, removed it and plugged it back in, rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, then updated the drivers, and still nothing.
I have not dropped the laptop, or spilled anything on it.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

I am hoping this link below works for you it is a PDF version of your Acer Aspire 4730z service manual.

http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%20473...30zg%204330.pdf

I had to enter a 4 digit code to make this link work, if this page fails to load for you, use this link below and click the DOWNLOAD link between the two Blue boarders in the middle of your screen and enter the code if it is displayed, . Please ignore the two green boxes saying download acer drivers.

http://www.devicemanuals.com/downloadguide.php

One of these two links will give you the PDF version of your service repair manual.

You can save this to your desk top, just click the little floppy disk in the adobe reader browser.

If you have any problems please ask.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 August 2010 - 06:22 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hi,

This really didnt help with my problem...

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

The service manual is a downloadable PDF version of your computer's trouble shooting procedures and shows exploded views of your laptop's inner workings, this is what service techs use for performing repairs on hardware such as keyboards and their keys, it also includes schematics of the circuitry that links the keyboard keys to the keyboard controllor board.
It also has a pictured whole disassembly procedure for your laptop piece by piece in chapter 3 and a trouble shooting section in chapter 4.
This manual is 198 pages long.
This manual will also help you locate the fault in your ALT keys.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 August 2010 - 09:42 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Have you tried with an external keyboard, or using the virtual keyboard that is built into windows?

Edited by fueL, 22 August 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#6 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

I have a usb keyboard i plugged in, but it didnt do anything. The laptop keyboard still typed, but the usb one didnt. and i know it works... :\

#7 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

It takes a little bit for the usb drivers for that keyboard to be installed, give it a few minutes then maybe restart your computer afterwards and see if it works then

#8 nkomp18

nkomp18

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Did you manage to ever get that working?

I have the exact same problem, suddenly started happening after a year of working fine. none of the ALT buttons work on my notebooks and it's not software related nor does it seem to be hardware related

#9 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

Did you manage to ever get that working?

I have the exact same problem, suddenly started happening after a year of working fine. none of the ALT buttons work on my notebooks and it's not software related nor does it seem to be hardware related

I indeed fixed the problem. What was the problem? Bad keyboard. I had to buy a new one and now they work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users