Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NORTON SUITE IS IT ANY GOOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

I purchased a new computer a week ago. Since I am a Comcast subscriber I get Norton Suite for free. I've been running Norton for the last week.. Today I ran my weekly SuperantiSpyware scan and it detected 25 items. I have never had this amount detected before, it has always been one, two or none. Can anyone give me some thoughts on this?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:00 AM

That is surprising, as SAS never found anything on my computers since I started using Comodo Internet Security since it's first beta 2 years ago. I bought a new Windows7 machine 2 months ago so decided to download and run SAS, but nothing found after a full scan now.

Maybe you are keeping tracking cookies on your computer? If so you could prevent those if you are using Firefox, by setting it to delete cookies when it closes except for those you choose to allow.

If that is all SAS is finding I don't think you should blame Norton.
James

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:32 AM

Yes, what were the items SAS identified? They may not be hazardous.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection. Always remember that security begins with the user.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Im noy a great believer in too much automation either, and there is not a lot of tweaking in the N360/Comcast suite. It was designed for the set-and-forget user. There are, relatively few infections reported on the Norton forum, which may be directly related to the inability to tweak.

Some of the reporting is different with Symantec products. It might report only one malicious item found, but has actually removed several. It may just count it all as one.

Norton products are very sensitive to multiple antivirus products running in real time, and may leave you more vulnerable than if it was on its own with other on-demand scanners.

#6 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

I appreciate the information. On my old computer I ran ZoneAlarm weekly and detected only a couple of spyware items once in awhile. So, I went with Norton thinking that this my be an improvement on my new machine. So, what are your thoughts on ZoneAlarm? Or can you recommend another firewall?

rlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users