Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Bamital!info causing fatal system error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hitgirl

hitgirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi guys,
I am a newbie so please be patient.
I have windows XP home and use google chrome as my browser.
2 days ago I couldn't get any icons/start up menu to appear on my desktop.
I googled this and as per advice accessed the internet using Ctl+Alt+Del.
I ran Norton antivirus which said there were no threats.
But subsequently, Norton kept popping up saying security threats were detected and that they were prevented.
Also I was being directed to websites automatically instead of the ones I wanted.
This morning, Norton detected this Trojan Bamital!info and said it required manual removal but when I tried to it said that the virus could not be removed.
I followed the instructions on the symantec website which asked me to out the computer in safe mode using F8.
Before that i installed and ran MBAM which detected adware and other trojans and all were succesfully removed but the trojan bamital!info was not detected.
I then tried to go into safe mode but it just kept going in a loop repeatedly and went into automatic restart.
I tried the start windows normally, safe mode with networking etc and nothing works.
When i selected 'disabled automatic restart if system fails' option the dreaded blue screen of death that I have read about but never seen appeared with Fatal System Error c000021a!!!!
I simply cannot get windows to start and have switched my PC off after 3 hours of trying.

Please HELP you computer GODS out there!!!!!
I will eternally be grateful for any advice.
Desperately yours,
HG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mush7

Mush7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hey,

I had this problem to but I have bad news for you.
I contacted Norton on this matter and they said once this happens nothing can be done.
You have to format your C Drive and recover your computer to what it originally was when you first purchased it.
When you purchased your computer it may have come with a recovery CD, so you can do it yourself,
if not, you will have to send it in to the company you purchased it from and they will do it for you (i.e. if it's a HP give them a call and they will do it for you).
When you get that error it means your start-up file is corrupt. This happened to me for the first time, just yesterday, but I had the recovery CD and recovered it it myself.

Sorry about the bad news,

Mush.

#3 hitgirl

hitgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:43 AM

hi mush,
thanks for ur reply.
is there any way of recovering files on my c drive like my stuff on itunes and photos? or is that a hopeless cause as well?
my computer is 7 yrs old so probably time to get a new one anyways.
But i was hoping i'd be able to fix things as things were fine before that.
i was streaming stuff from stagevu and i was on some RSS site when malware doctor appeared without me downlaoding it.
i uninstalled it but i suspect that caused a cascade of events leading to this nasty trojan!
and more importantly how does one prevent getting these bloody trojans....i had norton antivirus and still this happened!
Do you think a Mac is more robust and safer?
anyone out there with advice....please!!!!!
Cheers
HG

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

Hi hitgirl,

do you by any chance remember which files where deleted by norton and malwarebytes?

I think there is a chance we can rescue your PC without reformatting. It might take some time though.
We can definitely help you recovering your documents if you would prefer reformatting.

Let me know what you decide and we'll move from there.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 tqhx

tqhx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Im my instance it infected explorer.exe and winit.exe . I deleted both of the files and replaced with with good copies from another PC and no problems now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users