Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 has stopped functioning. It wont open.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jenny108

Jenny108

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

IE8 has stopped working because of the newly introduced pressence of a "portable" version of IE7. Here's the detail ...

In order to read synchronized text on certain websites I was advised that IE8 wont do it (in my specific instance), but (I was told) I can achieve the desired result with a "portable" version of IE7.

"Portable" means that in doesn't have to be installed, so it can even be run, for example, from a flash drive on a computer at the local library.

Here are the instructions I was given which I followed with SUCCESS ...

1. Download "Port_IE7.rar" at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GVNJIXRI.
2. After unraring it, put the "Portable Internet Explorer v7.0.exe" fileinto a folder named, for example, "C:\Portable Software" and put a shortcut to it on your desktop.
3. If you are using Windows 7, then right-click on the desktop icon, and select "Troubleshoot compatibility."
4. Click "Try recommended settings."
5. Click "Start the program..."
6. Click "Yes."

I'm not using Windows 7 - I'm using Vista. And I found I needed to select
"run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP" under the PROPERTIES section of the "Portable Internet Explorer v7.0.exe" icon.

Then everything worked great, the synchronized text I wanted, everything was great.

Then can the problem. Problem is, IE8 no longer works.

And IE8 is my main browser which is very much custom tuned. I can use the Portable IE7 ok, but it just doesn't compare for every day use. I need my IE8 back.

I'm thinking the solution is to uninstall the Portable IE7 (I wouldn't mind kissing it goodbye to get IE8 back) but because it's "portable" it's not exactly installed, however there are lots of Temp files associated with this IE7 in ...

AppData\Local\Temp\Rar

I thought of just deleting these files in the Rar folder, but I don't know if ALL of them are associated with this "portable" IE7. They probably are, but I didn't want to fool around.

I need expert advice. Thanks!

Edited by boopme, 22 August 2010 - 09:08 PM.
Moved to Web Browsing~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users