Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What replacement power supply unit to get?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 parkton

parkton

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

This is probably a pretty basic question for anyone in the know, but it's all new to me so hence this request for advice.

Having had problems with my old pc (see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...93&hl=BSOD) i ended up reloading Windows XP and things were just okay for a short while, then a smell of burning which turned out that the motherboard and power supply unit were dead. I ended up buying a new pc but still have the old one, and have decided to have a go at fixing it myself. Having acquired a replacement motherboard for next to nothing i now need a new power supply, and herein starts my problem i.e. what to buy?

The old PSU has a 20 pin connector to the MB but has no indication of manufacturer, just the following information on the label:

Switching power supply ATX-23C300W-C PIV

Maximum output power power is 300W

Voltage 115/230V; Vdc +3.3, +5, +12 and max DC output 14A, 30A, 15A

Current -7A/4A; -12, -5, +5SB

Frequency 60/50Hz; BLK GRN GRY
COM P-ON PG

There is also a sticker with a frontal view of a green frog image/logo, a warranty sticker with serial number D 2B147335 on it and another with a Pentium 4 logo. Approximate dimensions of the PSU are 14 cm long; 15 cm wide and 10cm high. Looking at the rear of the tower case the PSU is mounted at the top and has the connectors on the left and the fan on the right hand side of the unit

Is this enough information for anyone to suggest what i've got, and what it's direct replacement might be?

Incidentally, a friend has given me a used but working PSU of the same dimensions, but i'm not sure it's suitable as the fan and connectors are opposite positions to what i have and it's a different power rating, as ATX-350W P4 with AC input 220V-50Hz 4A and the fixing screw positions are located differently.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

General notes about PSU's:

Original Equipment power supplies are often the bare minimum wattage that can operate your PC. That being said, if you up the maximum wattage slightly you will gain better power consumption and reduce wear and tear on computer components by not making the PSU work at 100% all of the time and occasionally causing components to be underpowered.

I'd suggest upgrading to a 300-350 watt PSU like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153086 , but any good brand PSU would do (Corsair, Antec, Thermaltake are my personal favorite brands). Read the reviews for any PSU you plan on buying. By the way the PSU is an ATX form factor.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 22 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users