Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube on Linus 10.04

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimnor46

jimnor46

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

Got a question. Jut got a CD fron Canonical, Linux Ubuntu 10.04. Thought I'd give it a try, trying to get away from MS to a more secure OS. Put the CD in, did a little searching around on the internet, thought I'd see how Youtube video looked. Opened up youtube, clicked on a video and got a window that says Adobe Flashplayer needs to be installed/updated. Okay... Clicked on the update/install button, got a list of different files, was supposed to select one. I don't have a clue which one I was supposed to use so I just clicked on the first one. Supposedly installed (can this be installed on this CD?) Got a couple of other windows, didn't have any idea what they were but still can't play youtube video. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to correct this, if anything? I wasn't doing an install on Linux, just trying it out before I did the install.
Any help appreciated. Keep in mine that you're dealing with a semi-illiterate computer user here.

Thanks.

Edited by jimnor46, 22 August 2010 - 03:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

You could probably do that on a live DVD and maybe by building your own CD but I would imagine that would be a lot of work.
You can install Ubuntu on a flash drive and then install flash.

Once you have installed on your HDD use the Ubuntu Software Center to get Adobe Flash, Sun Java, etc.
Applications/ Ubuntu Software Center

Edited by buddy215, 22 August 2010 - 06:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

Follow these steps :
- Close all windows of Firefox.
- On top-left corner, click on Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center
- Type in search box Adobe Flash 10
- When you see Adobe Flash Player 10 listed click on More Info, then Use this source, then Install.
- Wait while its being installed.
- Open YouTube in Firefox to confirm.

I just re-installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my computer and had to re-install various items like Flash. So I know exact steps :D

Edit: No this is not installed on CD/DVD if you boot from Live CD and use Linux. The installation is done in the RAM only and when you restart your computer it is lost. For permanent installation, you have to first install Ubuntu Linux on your hard disk. If you dont want to re-partition your hard disk for Linux, You can choose to use WUBI installer to install Ubuntu inside Windows (just double click on Ubuntu CD icon in your Windows based computer and let the process begin).

Edited by Romeo29, 22 August 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#4 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hey, I appreciate the responses, I'm giving it a try.

Thanks

#5 jimnor46

jimnor46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Romeo29, I used your "applicatiions" method and it worked like a charm. I'll use this method until I decide whether or not I want to install Linux 10.04 permanently.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by jimnor46, 25 August 2010 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users