Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rrvdputten

rrvdputten

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

Just a little time ago i downloaded a program (dumb yes i know) and it promised that it would find the right drivers for ya. DriverMagic 3.0.. Nothing wrong at first. After install it went searching my pc..(thats when it started i think) for current drivers. I needed a driver SM..something for a mobile phone so it could work so i could put some stuff on it, for my daughter..Good father as i am..lol... Anyway, it scanned my pc and so on..then it should search for the drivers i needed..But that took like ages, so impatient as i was, i closed the program..and all of a sudden..POOOOOF it took over all exe files and so on..I can only get on IEXPLORER 8 right now. But all programs i try to open, makes it so that this frigging driver scan starts again..I opend that folder the program was installed in and it had a uninstall, but that didnt work, instead it went searching again..so this screen pops up with a rotating magnifie glas that goes over a perhipal kind of icon.. Anyway, i deleted that folder with no result..so i wanted to go into regedit to remove it from there, but gues what, again it popped up that stupid program. I cant acces anything anymore exept this internet explorer 8..

Tried all kinds of virus scanners, downloaded them but gues what, all exe files..and yes that program takes it over..so i tried my other HD, there was an old anti virus program there, same result..

Then i did a online virus scan with different scanners, no virus found..YEAH RIGHT..This is a virus for sure..

So anyone else heard about this program DRIVERMAGIC 3.0 from symplisIT..sended a mail to them, no response, again a mail, no response again..

im not sure if i can post the link to that website, it says that all virus scanners didnt find anything in it..And indeed nothing is found but it sticks it self to all exe files and other things. Im sure it is somewhere in regedit..but i cant open that, is there an other program i can run to enter my registry so i can manualy remove the suxor there?

http://www.symplisit.com/ thats the website..

where do i report such mallware and crap program? So the virus programmers can do a thorow investigation?

I realy hope i dont have to format my both HD's
Windows XP sp3 32bit
no regular virusscanner because in the end they do slowdown my pc..
all updates from MS installed..

Edited by rrvdputten, 23 August 2010 - 03:37 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rrvdputten

rrvdputten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: No reaction so far? So anyone? please im desperate..All exe files are converted, and in properties it shows Driver Update Installation as file type..it says target is a exe, but all files are now this Driver Update Installation type thing, ya cant change it there, ya cant even choose what program you want..

Edited by rrvdputten, 23 August 2010 - 03:37 AM.

#3 rrvdputten

rrvdputten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

Small update. Problem is fixed..Found an old (very old) way to work around the exe files..with DOS..Did a search with exe files infected and got this site, with a good work around for some issues. With that work around i could go into my registry and found the bugger..deleted it and voila problems are gone. I am not sure now if it was a virus but i think it should be considered as one, since it takes over the exe files so that it will always go to that bug program..

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

Read it to the bottom and see the old work around. Go to start, then type in the run line command instead of cmd!!! Command is the old .com extention in DOS..cmd is the exe extention in windows..

Then type in the new command screen regedit and voila there it is..because regedit has a exe extention and also a com extention..you can still run it in DOS format..Find the bugger that showsup all the time or if you know what the name of that program is..do a search for that in regedit..

So in the end i got it working again..And no more sneaky download anymore for me..

Admin if you can please close this thread..or leave it open for others to learn..

Maybe a sticky for the workaround because it can help a lot..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users