Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows error sound randomly when surfing the web

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dudloos

dudloos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi, I'm just browsing the web normally, and I hear the windows errors sound randomly, no pop ups or anything just the sound. And then sometimes after I can't connect to a webpage but I wait a while then refresh and its all good. I'm just wondering how can I get rid of the random sounds and does it correlate with my really bleepty ca security scanner coz it can't full scan either?

thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I am not sure why you are getting the windows error sound, but if you wanted to stop it from making this sound you would have to go to windows themes.

In the themes window you'll see shortcuts at the bottom of the screen for windows sounds and it is this window where you can change the alerts, or even remove the sound for this alert by choosing none.

If you are trying to figure out what is happening when you hear this alert, you can download Process Explorer and use this program to see what Processes are running when you hear this alert.

Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dudloos

dudloos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

but how do I find out which process is making the sound, there are so many open! then when I go to computer management there are a lot of yellow warnings and red errors instead of information ones. this isn't a virus though right?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

We all end up with a few errors here and there, but it depends on what the errors are and what they are related to and how many entries.

If you feel you may have some form of infection, what are you currently running for anti-virus/anit-malware scans?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

IMHO any time you can't scan your computer with your anti virus or any other security program there can be something has got in your computer that you don't want, (virus, malware, spyware). Many of those types of bad things will try to shut down you protection. If it was my computer I would start trying to fix the scan problem. Bad things can effect sound or anything else on your computer.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

edit ... wrong information

Edited by Jacee, 24 August 2010 - 09:57 AM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users