Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot device available

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kristenjordan

kristenjordan

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hello! I have yet another issue with my computer and am once again turning to you guys for help. You are greatly appreciated!!

My Dell Optiplex GX280 will not start up. I get the error screen that there is no boot device available and to press F1 to retry boot or F2 for setup utility. I have tried starting the computer in safe mode to no avail. I have also restored factory settings in BIOS but that did not fix the problem either. I don't know what else to try. I have windows XP.

Let me know what other information is needed, I know this isn't much.

Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi Welcome back to the forums, :thumbsup:

Well the first thing that I would/could think of in this case would be to do exactly what you have done but the last thing that I would try is to check all of the connections inside the computer for loose or unplugged connections most importantly on the ones on the back of the hard drive. :flowers:

!But be careful as there are certain components that can electrocute you,, So be sure to unplug the power cable from the back of the machine before opening it up!
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Ryan Pianesi

Ryan Pianesi

• Banned Spammer
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

If you didn't open the computer or anything, then you have a bad HDD or hard drive.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

If you didn't open the computer or anything, then you have a bad HDD or hard drive.

Ahh see there you are a little off on that idea my friend,, hard drives spin so do fans thus creating a vibration which over time can loosen and even disconnect a connector especially the new sata connections.
So for right now lets just get the first set of variables out of the way then we will determine that. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 22 August 2010 - 01:47 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

I would try to replace the CMOS battery...reset the date/time...elect default settings in the BIOS...and see if that helps.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...rob.htm#1165218, see No Boot Device Available.

Louis

#6 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

I saw a similar issue on a PC a few days ago. If the other fixes do not work for you then you can try 2 other things, however you will need your Windows XP CD (Will explain later).

First I would ensure that your hard drive is being detected in your BIOS before determining that the drive is "bad" per say. If for whatever reason its being listed as an "Unknown Device" then you can pretty much stop right there and being troubleshooting with the drive. If its being detected as a drive such as WDC### or SG### or some drive model # then you're in luck.

To get to the BIOS in dell machines, by default, press F2 continually when you turn the computer on.

After you're in the BIOS you will see a tree-like structure of options on the left (If I remember the optiplex bios correctly)

One of the options will be "Drives" scroll down to that and press enter. It will list all of your systems drives under this, each will have a Drive ID (when you highlight over it). If they all say "unknown" and none have an actually ID such as "WDC-Somenumbers/letters" then your hard drive is not being detected. This could mean the connection may have come out or the drive is dying/dead.

Let us know the results of this and we can go from there

#7 kristenjordan

kristenjordan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Looking inside the computer there didn't seem to be anything loose or unplugged however I am not an expert so it would have to be pretty obvious for me to notice so that could still be a possibility..

In BIOS there are Drives 0,1,2, and 3 listed but only drive 2 has Drive details which are Sony CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX830E

Should there be additional drives listed?

Thanks a lot!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

The listing you refer to in the BIOS...refers to the motherboard capabilities for accommodating hard drives or optical drives. Where no details are reflected...that just indicates that no drive is recognized as being attached/installed.

If you have 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive installed...you should only see detail for those two drives. If you only see details for the optical drive...that means that the motherboard is not recognizing your hard drive...which probably means a loose/bad connection or a bad drive.

Disconnect both connections to the hard drive...then reconnect them. Then trace the cable connecting the drive to the motherboard...and do the same.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#9 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

Kristen,

As hamluis said, it would seem as if your drive is not being recognized by the system. This unfortunately punts my 2 troubleshooting steps out of the stadium that would have required your Windows XP CD. If you can't access the drive, you can't fix it :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users