Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Runtime Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 robertr0000

robertr0000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:09 PM

This is on a WIN XP Professional machine running Office 2002 Professional. The user sent a Word attachment in email. Immediately after, she went to open Word and got the following error:

runtime error!
program: c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\winword.exe
this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK is the only choice in the error window. Clicking OK closes Word. Word prompts to open in Safe Mode on second attempt. Word does open in Safe Mode. Same error appears after closing the Safe Mode session of Word and reopening it. The error occures whether opening a Word document or winword.exe alone.

I checked support.microsoft.com and this was as close as I got to my issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;884538

The user isn't running any custom Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 programs. At least not on purpose.

I haven't tried more than deleting the Normal.dot files and searching for a fix.

Thanks in advance for you help and suggestions.

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:24 AM

Click on the link below to see if that helps:

Link

#3 MS Network Pro

MS Network Pro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

The first thing I would suspect is virus and spyware. If you have not Microsoft Anti Spyare program (or similar reputable product) I would start there and eliminate those issues. go to www.microsoft.com and click on The antispyware beta program, its free and works good.

A good antospyware program will have runtime error prtection.

Next check your MS updates are completed. you can go to www.microsoft.com/office and click check for updates. ( you ned to click check for updates atthis site twice. The site will look at your computer and determine you uptate status and install the proper updates for the Office suite.

Assuming the above is not an issue, you can repair the MS office suite of products. If word does not start at all you can go in from the Control panel, click start or remove programs. In the installed programs list, click the MS Office program and then Remove/Repair Yiou wll get an option to repair there. Click repair and let lt go to wirk.

Once it is done, go back to the updates site described above and complete the updates (repair may take you back to origionally installed files some may need to be updated).

Enjoy, this makes for an afternoon of pure computing pleasure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users