Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screwed???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ashutoshrathore

ashutoshrathore

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi...guyz recently i got many errors related with my hard drive,like an error pop ups always during start up..."S.M.A.R.T.......plz backup ur data and replace harddrive" so i decided to run a diagnostic test using speed fan and got these results
******************************************************************************************
Your hard disk is a ST380815AS with firmware 3.CHF.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 38C (MIN=29C MAX=47C) and yours is 45C.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:

Error: End To End Error Count has reached its threshold. Current value is 99 and threshold is 99.

According to S.M.A.R.T. specifications, your hard disk is failing and needs to be immediately replaced. Backup your data as soon as possible.

Warning: End To End Error Count reached, in the past, its threshold. Worst value is 99 and threshold is 99.

Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 2684 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Spin Up Time 97 0 Normal
Start/Stop Count 96 4308 Watch
Warning: Start/Stop Count is below the average limits (98-100).
Reallocated Sector Count 100 0 Very good
Seek Error Rate 85 346662182 Very good
Power On Hours Count 95 4862 Good
Spin Retry Count 100 0 Very good
Power Cycle Count 96 4206 Watch
Warning: Power Cycle Count is below the average limits (98-100).
End To End Error Count 99 1 Watch
Warning: End To End Error Count is below the average limits (100-100).
Reported Uncorrectable Errors 1 581 Watch
Warning: Reported Uncorrectable Errors is below the average limits (100-100).
High Fly Writes 100 0 Very good
Airflow Temperature 55 774701101 Watch
Warning: Airflow Temperature is below the average limits (58-71).
Hardware ECC Recovered 63 165650997 Watch
Warning: Hardware ECC Recovered is below the average limits (64-86).
Current Pending Sector 1 4294967294 Watch
Warning: Current Pending Sector is below the average limits (100-100).
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 92 Very good

NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

NOTE : your hard disk has 65534 pending sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk Power Cycle Count attribute current value (96) is below the normal range (98 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was power cycled more times than the maximum number the average hard disk was. Power cycles put some stress on the hard disk mechanic. Sometimes power cycles can be caused by a loose hard disk power connector. Make sure it is properly fastened.

The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.
The overall performance for this drive is 100%.
is there anyway to fix my harddrive??
ASHUTOSH RATHORE
Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

It is unfortunate your hard drive is failing and about the only option you have at this point is to save what you can to another hard drive, when a drive reaches this point, failure is imminent.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 August 2010 - 09:38 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

It is unfortunate your hard drive is failing and about the only option you have at this point is to save what you can to another hard drive, when a drive reaches this point, failure is imminent.

Bruce.

This is not only imminent, but could happen very soon. I would suggest that you not turn the computer on unless you are prepared to transfer the data which you wish to save to a removable storage device or media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

is there anyway to fix my harddrive??

Unfortunately no, as the others have said, the drive is seriously degraded. The End to End error count maxed out means that after transferring through the cache RAM data buffer, the parity data between the host and the hard drive on a large number of occasions did not match. The high drive temperature could indicate poor system cooling, or a tight bearing in the drive's spindle motor, but the normal spin-up time mitigates against a motor fault and suggests your system may have poor cooling or the drive is unsuitably mounted. Consistent high temperature could have contributed to its condition.

Once the drive has been backed up and replaced, if you want to experiment with it you could use the SeaTools utility downloadable from Seagate to zero-fill the drive. This should precipitate a re-allocation of the large number of pending sectors, and if this was the sole cause of the parity errors, could make the drive usable as a storage drive in a non-critical application - eg temporary storage of downloaded stuff where it doesn't matter if a file sometimes ends up corrupted. But there's no way to know how much longer the drive will function, as it is likely to keep developing more faulty sectors.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 ashutoshrathore

ashutoshrathore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:20 AM

Thanks to all......so the conclusion is that i have to buy new hard drive? well i have backup of my data....so there is no problem!
ASHUTOSH RATHORE
Twitter

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

Yes the safe usefulness of your hard drive has passed.

Your hard drive is capable of failing completely at any given moment, so it is not worth using it for any data that you can't afford to loose.

My strongest suggestion is to purchase a new hard drive and as has been suggested by Platypus, you could still try using it as a backup drive, once you mark off any bad sectors as non-accessable, the good sectors will still be accessable for use.

But as I said, this drive could fail at any moment and the most opertune time would be during bootup.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 August 2010 - 07:47 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 ashutoshrathore

ashutoshrathore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

Yes the safe usefulness of your hard drive has passed.

Your hard drive is capable of failing completely at any given moment, so it is not worth using it for any data that you can't afford to loose.

My strongest suggestion is to purchase a new hard drive and as has been suggested by Platypus, you could still try using it as a backup drive, once you mark off any bad sectors as non-accessable, the good sectors will still be accessable for use.

But as I said, this drive could fail at any moment and the most opertune time would be during bootup.

Bruce.

thanks a gallon.......:-)
ASHUTOSH RATHORE
Twitter

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

thanks a gallon.......:-)

You're welcome my friend and thank you for being a valued member of Bleepingcomputer! :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users