Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reviews or opinions on coolpdf

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

Any opinions or reviews about coolpdf (as possible alternative to Adobe/Acrobat Reader and to others) would be interesting and useful. There is a version from early 2007 installed on a very old desktop-tower computer here, and I find the coolpdf reader to be a bit sluggish during use. It opens faster than the Adobe/Acrobat version 6 which is on that computer, but usage of the coolpdf seems jerky and sluggish. I wonder if other users have tried newer versions of coolpdf and if it gives any kind of trouble, difficulties, or risks.
Thanks.

(Actually, Foxit version 2 on that machine works well and opens very fast)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejm

ejm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

I've been using PDFXchangeViewer for ages. fast, and portable. multiple tabbed documents. free

It's here : http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

And a bunch of others are here : http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=pdf&m=Search

Ed

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Now I tried Cool PDF Reader just a few hours ago.

I downloaded version 3 of Cool PDF Reader, the single file, free version from pdf2exe company (650 kb size, the supposedly "zipped" file package). Done on and tried in Windows XP s.p. 3.
No installation necessary, but this was a runnable EXE, coolpdfReader.exe. It opens after a few seconds, not fast. Usage mouse-based choices gave very slow responses. Reasonable mouse control for drag-scrolling on the page, but no scroll bars if image on page is magnified. Attempt at magnification or image view reduction is very slow to respond. Other commands are very slow to respond. Opening and closing a file are very slow to respond. Because of the rate at which this program responds to user chosen commands, I prefer Foxit, or even Sumatra PDF Reader than Cool PDF.

I appreciate but have not yet tried the other suggestion in the previous posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users