Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I simply delete these MSN things?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

The old computer seems to show no MSN installations in "Control Panel", and there are two MSN type folders in the root drive: MSN folder and MSN Gaming folder. The MSN folder only contains a shortcut to MSN Explorer, yet there is no such MSN Explorer installed. The MSN Gaming folder contains several DLL files and a small number of EXE files. I believe I never use and have never used any of the files in these folders. I hope the two folders and their contents are safe to simply delete. The EXE files, in case this information helps, are bckgzm, chkrzm, hrtzzm, Rvsezm, shvlzm, and zClientm. I am assuming these are EXE's of games, which I have never, and likely will never play and I do not believe they are formally installed since they seem not to be listed in Control Panel, as well as no Control Panel listing for any kind of MSN.

As far as email and internet/web, I used Yahoo, DSL wireless (when on current machine), and Internet Explorer v.8
(Machine: old laptop, from year 2002-2003, Windows XP, now updated to s.p. 3)

Advice anybody?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

You are correct that those are associated with games. Please note what is in red below.
http://www.processarchive.com/process/

Process
Bckgzm.exe
Program
Internet Backgammon
Purpose
Online board based game

Process
Chkrzm.exe
Program
Internet Checkers
Purpose
Online board based game

Process
Hrtzzm.exe
Program
Internet Hearts
Purpose
Online card based game

Process
Rvsezm.exe
Program
Internet Reversi
Purpose
Online board based game

Process
Shvlzm.exe
Program
Internet Spades
Purpose
Online card based game

For each of the above listed, there is also this for each of them:

Propriety
Potentially Undesirable

Perception
Application

Principle

(process name) could be legitimate Windows OS process. (game name) is played at MSN gaming zone web site against live players and comes with some versions of Windows. CAUTION: Various trojan/worm/spyware overwrite or create a file by this name.

zClient.exe is a process belonging to the Microsoft Gaming Zone which allows you to play games on the Internet one Zone.com's website. This is a non-essential process.\r Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.\r

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/zclientm

I did find this How do I uninstall MSN Games game files? which will tell you how to uninstall. Since you state you don't have MSN Gaming Zone in Add Remove, chances are good that the program does not exist on your system and what you have are leftover files. If this is the case, read the Delete MSN Gaming Zone folder section.

An option which may be good for you is to MOVE the folders someplace else on your computer. If after a few weeks you have no issues which can be caused by moving them, the folders can be safely deleted.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Newer Information Found - WINDOWS COMPONENTS.
That stuff of MSN are Windows Components. The Windows Disk Cleanup utility shows these as a possible choice of sets of items to clean away using the Disk Cleanup, so I am not sure if these are then safe to remove. If I use Disk Cleanup, and choose to clean away those MSN items, I assume that I can not put them back in case of any system problems. I imagine that I should not need any of those MSN components, but I do not know for sure. I am interested in any advice on this. I hope to clean away or uninstall as much useless or insignificant applications or files as possible so that I have room to try and test other software on the older machine, laptop from 2003 with Windows XP, s.p. 3, 30 GB hard disc currently with about 20 GB free.

(Also, is there a better placement for this message/posting than in Software>Games of Bleeping Computer?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users