Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Prevent Others From Using My Internet?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vom53

vom53

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

A big hello to the BleepingComputer community!!!!

Personally I haven't registered on these forums because I just check out your virus, spyware, etc. remedies in which have had help in the previous years.

However, I had to registered because of an issue I can't resolved on my own and need you, the masters, to help me.

It is like this:

I have a router and a modem.
A Linksys WRT54G router and a Speedstream from SBC which is now ATT modem

The problem is this: A family member of mine keeps stealing my internet.

How do I know? I have one computer and one laptop. The computer is wired connection to the router in which the router's internet is connected to the modem.
My laptop is wireless so when the family member steals the internet the connection is cut off.

Now, wait..

This family member is very very sneaky. This family member takes a direct broadband connection directly to the modem so the router won't keep track of the IP address or the name of the computer.

So how does he steal?
He used a wired connection connecting directly to the Speedstream modem so I will lose internet access because I connect to the router and also his IP is not detected.

So this is my question:

How do I prevent this family member from using the wired connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly, your only option here is to prevent him from getting physical access to the modem.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

If I'm understanding you correctly, your only option here is to prevent him from getting physical access to the modem.

Well is there any other way to censor what is view using the Internet from the modem? I have two kids in the house when I'm at work and that family member was watching adult content in front of them.

One of my kids said, " Daddy... Uncle George took out his .....and there was screaming from the screen..."

Or in what way is the best solution?

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Well is there any other way to censor what is view using the Internet from the modem?

As far as the modem goes, no. If this family member is using his own computer (meaning a computer that he owns) to do this, then you're pretty much out of luck from a technology standpoint. I don't envy the situation that you're in, but if you cannot prevent him from accessing your modem, then your only remaining option is to take it up with that family member. As it's your house, it's perfectly sensible for you to expect him to follow the house rules. If he refuses to do so, then maybe he ought to not live with your family anymore.

Sorry to not have better news, feel free to let me know if you've any further questions.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:57 AM

I came across this:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/com...able-modem.html
http://assets.twacomm.com/assets/pdf/36889.pdf
and k9/b-secure

what's your opinion?

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:04 AM

I only read some of the first link, but it appears that installs on the PC or router itself. In which case it won't work. All you can do, is as suggested(in the first link) lock the modem up where he can't get to it.

Edit: Checking the 2nd link, it may work...but any cheap plastic would probably be easy to break.

Edited by NpaMA, 23 August 2010 - 02:06 AM.

#7 MichaelB51026

MichaelB51026

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:35 AM

Log on your router management panel, checkout out the IP addresses.
God helps those who help themselves.

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

Log on your router management panel, checkout out the IP addresses.

In this case that wouldn't work. The family member is bypassing the router entirely.

@vom53: Apart from the suggestion of locking your modem up, the first link wouldn't work, as it is a software based solution that operates PC-side. Meaning you'd have to install it on the offending computer. If you don't own this computer, installing such software on it is illegal. Same goes for k9/BSecure.

In regards to the second link: as a hardware solution it might work. However, that lock looks like it could picked or broken fairly easily; it might not stop him if he's really determined.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 BoneFish

BoneFish

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

Well is there any other way to censor what is view using the Internet from the modem? I have two kids in the house when I'm at work and that family member was watching adult content in front of them.

One of my kids said, " Daddy... Uncle George took out his .....and there was screaming from the screen..."

If this is for real and your not trolling.
You have more than computer problems.
Uncle George needs to be out of the house and away from your kids.

#10 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

If this is for real and your not trolling.
You have more than computer problems.
Uncle George needs to be out of the house and away from your kids.

Yes, it is true except George is not his name. I wish I could kick him out of the house but he is the brother-in-law.

@Blade There are different modes in the modem like the router so maybe I can use it. (ppope, bridge, etc.) What's your opinion?

Edited by vom53, 23 August 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

Wouldn't make a difference. . . I'm telling you, there is not a software solution for your problem. The purpose of the modem is not to regulate access to the Internet; it is to facilitate it.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

If he were accessing the internet throught the router, you could set up access restrictions to allow internet access for only certain times of day. But he is going strait into the Speedstream from what you say

He is obviously using a laptop

Too bad you couldnt modify his host file somehow so that the only website he could access would be www.disney.com!!
That would fix his wagon!!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

>=8tk0dzz5rmd

I don't know what wrong, but I have a keylogger (I think) :thumbsup:
Everything I type I have to backspace everything and make sure to retype it again.

I scan with HiJackThis and discovered nothing wrong with the log.

Avast Free detected nothing.
PSMAntiKeyLogger detect hooks in xul.dll of Firefox and ieframe.dll in IE Explorer.
WinPatrol see no change.
Multi-AV scan with Sophos, McAfee, Kaspersky, Trend Micro detect nothing, but something in the Java directory. AppletX.class to be certain.
Malwarebytes AntiMalware Pro see nothing, and the IP protection is working perfectly in this computer (XP), but my laptop (Vista) the icon for Malwarebytes AntiMalware doesn't work when I right click it though the processes are running.
Combofix found nothing.
GMER(the one from the site) has detected malicious code in my drive sector. Don't know how to get rid of.
SuperAntiSpyware Free found nothing.
Spybot Search & Destroy delete a Gamevance folder since MBAM delete the Gamevance malware a couple of months ago.

Some things to note:
*There was a voting site I used to visit, but then one day Avast alert me with virus.js (JS:Redirector-DP:Trj) so I might have gotten it already early on.
*Copy and paste using mouse or on the keyboard (Ctrl +C and Ctrl + V) doesn't work.
*Oh yeah... that "Uncle George" (brother-in-law) hacked through my computer, but not my laptop. He has his own laptop, but I try the lock wire thing and it work, but for some reason "Uncle George" manage to bypass the windows log in screen without reinstalling windows and the password was still intact, but he manage to get in... :flowers:

Edited by vom53, 24 August 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#14 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

Hello.

In Regards to your malware issues, follow the below steps.

Please follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#15 vom53

vom53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

What host file download would work to safely protect the network?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users