Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

yellow question marks in device manager

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 glynnmania

glynnmania

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hi everyone, I've got yellow question marks next to my video controller and video controller (vga compatible). I am unable to update either on. I downloaded the file from nvidia, when I tried to install it, it said it couldn't find compatible hardware.

I'm using a compaq presario v6000. Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

Do you have a driver disk that came with your PC?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

Have you tried to uninstall the drivers in the Device Manager? If you have and haven't been successful it would mean that the drivers are not native to the operating system. In this case, the quickest way to replace them would be to use the disk with the drivers that came with your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

I have unistalled them, then tried to let Windows reinstall, and it was unsuccessful. I do not have my drivers disk, the computer was given to me by work and that would be too easy.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

You have indicate that your computer is a HP compaq presario v6000, but when I went to HP's website in search of drivers I find that there are four different V6000 models. Can you tell us which one you have? You can use the link below to take you to their site where these models are listed.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...&submit.y=9

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hi everyone, I've got yellow question marks next to my video controller and video controller (vga compatible). I am unable to update either on. I downloaded the file from nvidia, when I tried to install it, it said it couldn't find compatible hardware.

I'm using a compaq presario v6000. Any help would be great.

Do you use the video card that is on-board (built into your motherboard) or do you have a video card that is through a PCI slot? If you've upgraded a video card for gaming/etc and you're looking on HP's website you're going to have a hard time finding it (because it won't be there).

Aside from that, it was previously mentioned that the exact model # of your computer would be needed to provide any other assistance. Probably on a sticker on the side/back of your computer.

#7 techiegal

techiegal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

you are getting great answers. if you can't find a sticker, go to www.piriform.com and download its program called "speccy". that will identify all of your hardware and software and all kinds of other stuff that you MAY need if you someday buy another computer and want similar software/features/drivers, etc.

it sounds like the driver for the card should be updated. compaq should have a driver update for this card. also, just to share:

watch out for your hardware/software tech support professionals. since we are walking straight into a depression, the managers have told them that they get extra brownie points if they talk you into buying new hardware/software. mine made a MAJOR error with my system and i could kill them. the tech pushing a 2 TB new internal hard drive and a gamer's very powerful video card on me (a nVidea) could not have bothered to look at my build. because, if he had, he would have told me to purchase two separate 1 TB hard drives and configure them to RAID 0, like my build was set up, as well as that he never would have advised me to buy the gamer's powerful video card because he didn't look at the motherboard capacities!

i've had nothing but headaches and lost many hundreds of dollars on external hard drives, software, and TIME i should have been giving to the corporation which i chair because of that stupido. the video card, even when the nVidea driver was updated, ended up blowing up inside of my computer, on my motherboard, and causing blue screen errors that i, not they, figured out had to be a result of the new card. else:

i will never be able to go back to the build's RAID 0 configuration even if i purchased two separate 1 TB internal hard drives, since already, i have lost about 14 months on this baby. don't listen to them. hire a geek before you buy anything from them. they also will sell you outdated software bundles, btw.

good luck.

#8 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the advise guys. I'll try it out and post back to let you know how it goes.

#9 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

As far as I know, I'm using all stock components.

#10 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

speccy didn't tell me anything. When I used filehippo's update manager, it prompted me to download ATI Catalyst Drivers 10.7 XP which failed to install properly and NVIDIA Forceware 258.96 WHQL XP which said it couldn't find any compatible hardware.

Please help, my screen looks terrible.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

I had asked you in an earlier post to tell me exactly which model you have as there are four different compaq presario v6000. This HP site is just for drivers, so it is imperative that you have the exact model.

If you want to find all the details about your computer, download SIW and run it.

Edited by dc3, 23 August 2010 - 11:09 AM.

#12 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Sorry about not giving all the info, and thanks for the super fast reply. Here's the info SIW gave me:

Property Value
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Family 103C_5335KV
Product Name Presario V6000 (GA395UA#ABA)
Version Rev 1
Serial Number 2CB7312YLG
SKU Number GA395UA#ABA
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
Infrared (IR) Supported No
DMI System UUID 434E4637-33313259-4C47001B-247E1808
UUID 37464E43-3133-5932-4C47-001B247E1808

Disk Space Disk C: 77 GB Available, 101 GB Total, 77 GB Free
Disk D: 1399 MB Available, 9929 MB Total, 1399 MB Free

Physical Memory 2038 MB Total, 1187 MB Free
Memory Load 41%

Virtual Memory 3929 MB Total, 3061 MB Free

PageFile Name C:\pagefile.sys
PageFile Size 2046 MB
In use 164 MB
Max used 164 MB
Registry Size 5 MB (current), 54 MB (maximum)

Profile GUID {a2578340-dfe5-11da-99ae-806d6172696f}

The system clock interval 15 ms

#13 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Looks like HP doesn't have a driver on their website for XP for that video controller, however the controller is a "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950"

Intel's website is sort-of confusing, it would probably be easiest for you to use this website here and have them auto-detect the driver for you.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

Looks like HP doesn't have a driver on their website for XP for that video controller, however the controller is a "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950"

Intel's website is sort-of confusing, it would probably be easiest for you to use this website here and have them auto-detect the driver for you.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/detect.htm

I think this is a very helpful and useful post!

Thanks for finding this fuel, because this would have been my suggestion as well.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, Fuel. I'm installing now. Should it take a long time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users