Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

always a logical reason?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davers

davers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hi, I wasnt sure where to post this. I just wanted to get the point of view of some of those involved with fixing computer problems. Do you think that there is always a logical reason for every time a computer has a hardware or software problem (meaning one can always find an explanation for why the problem occurred) or are there sometimes when we just have to accept that we don't know what caused the problem.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, to expose the topic to a broader audience. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Just my opinion...

Of course...there's always a logical reason...but that reason may be incapable of being detected by humans, as so many things are. That's how things like beliefs in deities got started...humans wanted a way to explain everything that could not be understood at that time.

We don't like uncertainty, so we search for answers. But our attempts to understand many things...is just limited by what we know...today.

In computing...files become damaged and they don't operate as they should. A program may not as well-written and documented as it should be. There may be a short or power surge in the electricity which powers a system. Hardware can fail because of something that was not picked up in building/assembly or quality control.

Even though we attempt to eliminate uncertainty from all things in our lives...it's one of the most basic principles of life/energy...as we understand such today.

So I answer...yes, there is always a reason for computer problems...no, we are not necessarily understanding the causes of such, since most of our understanding of computers has to to with perceived effects and we tend to try to work backwards from those...to a cause.

Some effects are well-documented...some are not. Some are known, many are unknown because hardly anyone has the time/energy to test every possible situation that can occur...or even to imagine such.

That's why...there are situations where the time and energy that might be spent "troubleshooting"...would just be better in wiping the system and starting anew. If nothing else, malware has taught all of us that lesson, if not known/understood before.

I find that any person who cannot accept the fact that we, as humans, cannot possibly know all the answers to very much...just has no feel at all for understanding that which we call knowledge today. Tomorrow's knowledge will be more than today's...that means that what we think we know...is somewhat dwarfed by all that we don't know.

We seek answers to computing problems, to the best of our abilities. We may not understand those answers until next year, next month, next century...and by then, there will newer questions/situations that inspire more searches for answers.

A computer is a very sophisticated thing, although many persons do not seem to understand such. It depends on hardware, software, an operating system, quality control procedures that are as good as they can be today, electrical energy...and it depends on all of these things functioning as they should...in an optimum environment. When the environment desired...degrades for any reason...all bets are off and we look backward trying to understand what could have been changed and how.

We undoubtedly have more documentation, self-help, and means of education...in the world of computing...than with any other aspect of our lives that even comes close in terms of complexity, variables that must be considered, etc.

A clown like me...can understand certain aspects of computing...well, accept certain aspects would be more honest :thumbsup:...but I don't ever expect that the day will come when every computing situation will be understood by humans. The dynamics of computing...has too many variables for such, IMO.

Louis

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:08 AM

Always logical; not always diagnosable.

Faulty or marginal hardware may cause intermittent, inconsistent errors. Poorly written programs may cause "race conditions" or other problems that can't be repeated on demand. (And let's not forget malware!)

Bottom line -- sometimes you run into a problem that has a perfectly logical cause, but defies solution, at least with reasonable resources! That's what makes all of this so much fun, right? :thumbsup:

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:49 AM

I think that this Topic is similar to religion, the Bible and Politics and should be moved to Speakeasy.

First up? Computers were designed to copy the human Brain, but with serious defects.

No Computer can actually think, nor actually desplay the many Human emotions. It's Job is to listen to the Human input and act accordingly.

If it detects a Problem all it can do is to tell you about it and give you two choices, that usually are something like this? "Do you want me to fix this? Answer OK or Cancel."

Seem familiar?

If you answer OK, it then does it's thing, Good or Bad, but at your bidding.

If you answer Cancel, then it waits for further feed back from you.

That was always built in from Day 1. Programs that subregate that are a real worry to the World.

Secondly, Computers are not infallible as has been proved by Asian people with Abacus, the first Computers in History, out performing them.

Just think about it?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:09 AM

Nice read hamluis. We still keep trying, that's the good part. Your a clown, no way, your one of my computer Hero's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users