Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Blue Screen Then it won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Hey everyone this isn't really a virus problem but a hardware issue. So what happened, was that I was on the computer like normal with a few processes up, and out of nowhere my computer starts freezing up and then I get the blue screen of death. I then restarted my computer and windows 7 won't even start. It's asking for a boot disk and says "hard disk not exist".

So I have a couple questions. Does anybody know how I can fix this problem and will I lose all my files from fixing this problem? Thanks and I hope someone can help me!

Sorry for the double post, I didn't mean to do that, just delete this one or the other one please.

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2010 - 10:32 AM.
Deleted dupe ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Did you check your BIOS boot settings...and see if your hard drive is reflected properly?

Louis

#3 Iownyoujk

Iownyoujk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

It's an HP laptop and sure exactly what model. I think a pavilion dv6. And i'm not exactly sure on how to do that, sorry.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf

Scroll down to Using the Setup Ulility. The Setup Utility is the same as the BIOS.

Every BIOS can be somewhat different from others...but the BIOS reflects the basic hardware components of your system, along with various settings.

For general info on BIOS...see Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable.

If your hard drive is properly reflected in the BIOS main screen...and as the first boot option...then we can move on to find other suspects :thumbsup:.

You might also take a look at HP Error Message, Hard Disk Does Not Exist

Also see http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...t=3798739#N1171.

Louis

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

I would open up your computer case.....and before touching anything inside the computer, take a moment and touch the computer case for a few seconds, this is to discharge any static electricity you may have stored in your body.

Unplug the power wire from the computer.

Look for the hard drive inside your computer.

You will see two wires going to it, one from your PSU and the other from your motherboard.

Please carefully remove both wires from the hard drive and plug them back in again, the same way they were before you unplugged them.

Next, follow the wire that goes to the motherboard and disconnect this one and plug it back into its slot.

Make sure that all connections you just played with are firmly locked into their slots.

Recheck everything and return the power plug to the computer and power up the computer.

During the post, please press proper key to boot into BIOS, this key will be mentioned when boot up is happening, it will mention a key to press to enter setup.

Once you are in the main BIOS set up utility, make sure your hard drive is being displayed as the primary master, if you have sata, it may say sata1, make sure the hard drive is recognized and once it is detected, press F10 to exit and save changes to CMOS.

Your computer should now reboot and hopefully your computer will boot to Windows.

Please keep us informed.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users