Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with system memory after system restore/spybot installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jman999z

jman999z

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:46 AM

My computer had been running a little slowly and I suspected that there might be some spyware running on it. I downloaded and installed Spybot Search and destroy as well as the teatimer that came with it. As the installation started running, Mcafee started freaking out and blocked some file actions. At that point I realized that it wasn't a good idea to have the teatimer running while mcafee was also running. I couldn't find the teatimer in the add/remove programs menu, so I did a system restore to before I had installed the spybot bundle. The restore worked, but then once the system reloaded, an error message came up saying :" the instruction at 0xffa5785e referenced memory at 0xffa5785e. The memory could not be read. Click ok to terminate the program". This error message comes up anytime I try to open a program (the only thing that changes is the number it gives for the memory). I tried to undo the system restore, but the error comes up when I try to open the system restore utility. I tried to load windows in safe mode to undo the changes, but when I try that a blue screen comes up saying that it will not load in order to prevent further damage to my computer. Windows will load when not in safe mode, but it has the memory errors. I have no idea what is wrong with it. My computer is running windows xp. HELP!

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:51 AM

Try disabling Tea Timer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jman999z

jman999z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

The restore that I did got rid of the teatimer program (at least it doesnt appear to be running in the task manager, and the spybot package is no longer installed). I'm thinking maybe something got corrupted during the restore.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

If your restore point was prior to the installation of Spybot then the restore deleted it as that wasn't part of the applications that existed at that time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users