Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chronix3

Chronix3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

Hey guys, I've tried many things but to no luck.

Im running a Windows XP OS on a desktop computer and want to upgrade to Windows 7 however, I can't.
Upon booting up using the W7 disc (original OEM copy) it comes to the screen where you pick the hard-drive you want to install W7.

However, theres nothing to be selected! It asks me to "Load Driver" for the GBB36X, I presume but it wont let me load it.
Ive downloaded lots of files related to this and used a USB to load drivers but to no success.

It's a 32 Bit system on a GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard, running on the Gigabyte GBB36X SCSI/Raid Controller? I've got it set up on a dual mirror for RAID.

Any help would be appreciated.

I want to format it completely and install a fresh copy of W7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I'm not too familiar with RAID setups, but if you haven't solved the problem by now (since this post was 4 days ago), I would disconnect any additional hard drives, and try to just install to one hard drive, then set your RAID back up after that.

#3 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

You can't upgrade to Windows 7 from XP, as far as I know? You can only do so from Vista. I may be wrong, but that's what I thought.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

I want to format it completely and install a fresh copy of W7.

I think chronix3 is using the term upgrade as in switching to a newer Windows. Yes you are correct, there is not option to "upgrade" from XP to W7.

Check this out and see if it helps...

Clean Install Windows 7

#5 ProgramStartUp

ProgramStartUp

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi chronix3, I actually found this article on Microsoft's website and it gives you instructions and a video demonstration (or maybe just some problems shown to be resolved in the video?) on going from XP to W7. Not sure if it will help you or not but the link is below:

Micrsoft's Tutorial on Upgrading Straight From XP to W7

Hope it helps! :huh:

Edited by ProgramStartUp, 28 August 2010 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users