Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

I was wondering how I can fix my laptop keyboard, I know I could try to dissemble it but it seems quite hard considering I'm not good with working with tiny little pieces . The problem I'm having is whenever I press "s"it does this "\s" if I press "q" it does this "zq" when I press the right arrow it does this "." and when I press "j" it goes up and then puts a "j" on the line above and if I press the up arrow it does a "j" again on the line above. It's not number lock obviously and the keys don't feel sticky so I don't think it's that so I really have no clue as to what it is can anybody help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VaudeVillianVeteran

VaudeVillianVeteran

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

Sounds like you have some stuff stuck under your keyboard, on some laptops you can just remove the entire keyboard fairly easily, can you try that?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hello sounds like a frustrating situation.

If you could please post your computers make and model number I might be able to assist you better.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

Sounds like you have some stuff stuck under your keyboard, on some laptops you can just remove the entire keyboard fairly easily, can you try that?

I thought that originally as well but it doesn't seem like the keys being dirty would cause the s to do a slash considering the slash is all the way on the other side of the keyboard.

I would try it but from the tutorials I've seen it seems you have to remove key by key?

#5 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:59 PM

Hello sounds like a frustrating situation.

If you could please post your computers make and model number I might be able to assist you better.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

It is quite frustrating, like right now I have to go back through my po\st, click and delete all the slashes. It's a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976.

#6 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

Anyone?

#7 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

First off, DO NOT try to pry the keys off. You will most likely break the tiny scissor switches underneath them and then need a completely new keyboard.

You can try to remove the keyboard from the machine, give it a good cleaning with compressed air, rubbing alcohol, rags, and q-tips and see if that helps.

Underneath each key is a tiny plastic scissor switch which is what holds the keycap on the computer. There is also a sheet of silicon with tiny "buttons" on it that the key pushes down on and they press a small electrical switch on a board underneath that. Normally problems like what you are describing are cause by either some sort of debris (crumbs, dirt, etc) between the keys and silicon OR it could be residue of some sticky fluid (like soda) that spilled on the keyboard at some point.

If cleaning it doesn't work, then you can replace the keyboard. If you got it off it is simply a matter of ordering a new one and reversing the procedure. On most laptops you have a few screws on the bottom (or in the battery compartment) that you need to remove to get the keyboard off. I am pretty sure for yours you will need to remove some screws in the battery area then pry off the piece that is right above the keyboard to get to more screws to actually remove it.

#8 RobiSuicide

RobiSuicide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

First off, DO NOT try to pry the keys off. You will most likely break the tiny scissor switches underneath them and then need a completely new keyboard.

You can try to remove the keyboard from the machine, give it a good cleaning with compressed air, rubbing alcohol, rags, and q-tips and see if that helps.

Underneath each key is a tiny plastic scissor switch which is what holds the keycap on the computer. There is also a sheet of silicon with tiny "buttons" on it that the key pushes down on and they press a small electrical switch on a board underneath that. Normally problems like what you are describing are cause by either some sort of debris (crumbs, dirt, etc) between the keys and silicon OR it could be residue of some sticky fluid (like soda) that spilled on the keyboard at some point.

If cleaning it doesn't work, then you can replace the keyboard. If you got it off it is simply a matter of ordering a new one and reversing the procedure. On most laptops you have a few screws on the bottom (or in the battery compartment) that you need to remove to get the keyboard off. I am pretty sure for yours you will need to remove some screws in the battery area then pry off the piece that is right above the keyboard to get to more screws to actually remove it.

I removed the keyboard (although not fully because I didn't know how to take off the ribbon cord) and tried to clean and blow in between the keys but still no luck. It actually worked alright for a few minutes but then it started messing up again.

#9 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

The ribbon cable is held in place by a sliding clip. If you look at it, there are two small tabs on either side. Pull them about 1/8" to loosen it and the cable will slide out.
TO re-install it, make sure that clip is out as far as it goes, slide the cable in under it, then lock the clip down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users