Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Win32:BAMITAL-X/browsing redirects

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

I recently noticed that my browsing (ie, FF) (google won't even connect) was being redirected to random pages. My installed virus scanner has found nothing. So I installed Avast and it found win32:bamital-x on explorer.exe and winlogin.exe. And of course it cannot repair these system files. No other items have been found.

Have since disconnected the system from the internet and using a USB drive to pass log files from it.

What annoys me is that I am typically uber-safe when browsing. Sucks to be me.

GMER keeps locking up on me. I will post it when I have it if this is important.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   27.16KB   11 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forums!

My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Somethings to remember while we are working together.
  1. Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
  2. Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.
  3. Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
  4. Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.
  5. Do not run anything while running a fix.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. By doing this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.

Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

DeFogger:
    Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
    • The application window will appear
    • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
    • Click Yes to continue
    • A 'Finished!' message will appear
    • Click OK
    • DeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OK
    Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Download DDS:
    Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:

Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
    Link2
    Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.
    • Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.
    • Shortly after two logs will appear:
      • DDS.txt
      • Attach.txt
    • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
    • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
    • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply

Scan With RKUnHooker
  • Please Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.
  • Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.
  • Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.
  • Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.
Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.

Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore

"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

MBRCheck

Please also download MBRCheck to your desktop
  • Double click MBRCheck.exe to run (vista and Win 7 right click and select Run as Administrator)
  • It will show a Black screen with some data on it
  • a report called MBRcheck will be on your desktop
  • open this report
  • Right click on the screen and select > Select All
  • Press Control+C
  • now please copy that report to this thread

information and logs:
    In your next post I need the following
      1.logs from DDS
      2.log from RKUnHooker
      3. report from MBRchecker
      4.let me know of any problems you may have had

Gringo

I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi Gringo,

Thanks for replying. I can understand, by reading this forum, that malware is a real issue and I can understand that its hard to get to everyone.

For better or for worse, I tried the Microsoft Security Essentials which scanned the system, identified the problem, and then claimed it could fix it. It did, and well and truly screwed the box to the point that it continually reboot itself. Based on Avast and the MSE the infected files were explorer.exe and winlogon.exe. My guess is that the MSE was not as smart as Avast which claimed it could not fix the files.

So my only recourse was to build a BartPE disk, boot, and copy over the winlogon.exe and explorer.exe from another system.

It "works" now but as other threads in this forum indicate there is no guarantee that I am free of this Trojan.

So my questions now are:
1. Is there any point in proceeding to waste your time?
2. Should I just rebuild a new disk and copy my data files from backup?
3. Other?

Thanks
DMC

#4 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hello

that sounds like the new guy going around now.

go ahead and give me the logs I will give you a run thru to see if it all is cleared up

Gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#5 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

The other note I should add is that when I attempt to run add/remove programs it crashes.

#6 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

All logs in attached zip.

Attached Files

#7 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

Greetings

The other note I should add is that when I attempt to run add/remove programs it crashes. lets see if during the course of the clean up it clears up - if not remind me again so I can look into it

I Would like you to do the following.

Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Run Combofix:
    Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running the tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode.
    This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
    It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:
      The Recovery Console was successfully installed.
    Please continue as follows:
    • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the report in your next post:

C:\ComboFix.txt

"information and logs"
    1. Log from Combofix
    2. let me know of any problems you may have had
    3. How is the computer doing now?

Gringo

#8 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

ComboFix did popup a "rootkit" detected. It rebooted and rescanned and the following log was generated. During this process, on several occasions, a dialog appeared that indicated that PEV.cfxxe has crashed.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   9.28KB   9 downloads

#9 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

And I still get the:

rundll32.exe - application error dialog when I try to run add/remove programs. The content of the dialog states:

The instruction at 0x7c911909 referenced memory at 0xfffffff8. The memory could not be read.

Edited by DaveMingChang, 29 August 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#10 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

Greetings

How is the computer doing now?

Please print out these instructions, or copy them to a Notepad file. It will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps..

Your Java is out of date.

It can be updated by the Java control panel
  • click on Start-> Control Panel (Classic View)-> Java (looks like a coffee cup) -> Update Tab -> Update Now.
  • An update should begin;
  • follow the prompts

Clear your Java Cache
  • click on Start-> Control Panel (Classic View)-> Java (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
        Applications and Applets
        Trace and Log Files
    • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
      Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
    • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
    • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

TFC(Temp File Cleaner):
  • Please download TFC to your desktop,
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close all open application windows.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run the program.
  • If prompted, click "Yes" to reboot.
Note: Save your work. TFC will automatically close any open programs, let it run uninterrupted. It shouldn't take longer take a couple of minutes, and may only take a few seconds. Only if needed will you be prompted to reboot.

: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware :
    Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is Checked (ticked) except items in the C:\System Volume Information folder and click on Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please copy and paste the log into your next reply
    • If you accidently close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Download HijackThis
  • Go Here to download HijackThis Installer
  • Save HijackThis Installer to your desktop.
  • Double-click on the HijackThis Installer icon on your desktop. (Vista and Win 7 right click and run as admin)
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on Edit > Select All then click on Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
  • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

"information and logs"
    1. Log From MBAM
    2. report from Hijackthis
    3. let me know of any problems you may have had
    4. How is the computer doing now?

Gringo

#11 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Hi

Good luck with that hurricane thing.

Java updated and cache cleared.

TFC was run.

Anti-Malware and HJT was run and logs attached.

Attached Files

#12 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

Greetings

These logs are looking very good, we are almost done!!! Just one more scan to go.

:Remove unneeded startup entries:

This part of the fix is purely optional
These are programs that start up when you turn on your computer but don't need to be, any of these programs you can click on their icons (or start from the control panel) and start the program when you need it. By stopping these programs you will boot up faster and your computer will work faster.
  • Run HijackThis
  • Click on the Scan button
  • Put a check beside all of the items listed below (if present):
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [stgclean] c:\sdwork\w32maing.exe /cleanup
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACWLIcon] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\ACWLIcon.exe
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPFNF7] C:\PROGRA~1\Lenovo\NPDIRECT\TPFNF7SP.exe /r
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY\TPOSDSVC.exe
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPHELPER] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapAp.exe -helper
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyHelpService] C:\Program Files\IBM\My Help\workspace\service\delayStart.exe
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISSI Service] "c:\sdwork\issimsvc.exe"
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LPManager] C:\PROGRA~1\THINKV~2\PrdCtr\LPMGR.exe
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
      O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\boydg\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
      O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\Connect\11\ISUSPM.exe -scheduler
      O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
      O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
      O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.1.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
      O4 - Global Startup: Monitor Apache Servers.lnk = C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\bin\ApacheMonitor.exe
      O4 - Global Startup: Windows Search.lnk = C:\Program Files\Windows Desktop Search\WindowsSearch.exe
  • Close all open windows and browsers/email, etc...
  • Click on the "Fix Checked" button
  • When completed, close the application.

NOTE**You can research each of those lines >here< and see if you want to keep them or not
      just copy the name between the brakets and paste into the search space
      O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint]

Eset Online Scanner

**Note** You will need to use Internet explorer for this scan

Go Eset web page to run an online scannner from ESET.
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • click on the ESET Online Scanner button
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
    • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
    • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options
      Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\Eset\Eset Online Scanner\log.txt
Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

"information and logs"
    1. Report from ESET
    2. let me know of any problems you may have had
    3. How is the computer doing now?

Gringo

#13 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hi Gringo,

Hope Earl has passed you by safely.

The eset claims to find nothing however it crashes before completion. So I have no formal report from eset. I have attached the error it displays.

I was looking into the add/remove programs issue (has similar error). Other control panel items are fine, so I got a copy of appwiz.cpl and replace the existing version in c:\windows\system32. No change as the error occurs in rundll32.exe.

The system runs "normally" except for not being able to run all/remove programs - at least as I have found so far. No redirects are occurring.

DMC

Attached Files

#14 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hello

Thanks.

from what I have read this should fix that problem,

Start/run, type:
sfc /scannow

let me know if it works

gringo

#15 DaveMingChang

DaveMingChang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

sfc /scannow:

It appears to scan, and then disappeared. Is there a report it outputs? Or if it did not popup warnings then I should not worry about it?

RKUnhooker:
This continues to crash and does not complete. One element that also crashes is a mysterious program that has what appears to be a random collection of characters and lives in c:\windows\system32. Each time I run RKUnhooker the number changes. Is this RKU or is it something I should be concerned about?

I have attached the error message.

Thanks

DMC

Attached Files

Edited by DaveMingChang, 01 September 2010 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users