Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Workstation vs Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

I've been looking into various projects including research on parts to rebuild/upgrade my gaming PC. I was curious if it would be easiest to setup a server workstation as a replacement for my gaming PC or to just use regular ATX boards. I want a PC that would last a long time that I wouldn't need to upgrade often at all that would be able to run the latest up to date online games and other graphic and RAM intensive games to be released along with media editing software. Which would be more cost effective in the long run?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VaudeVillianVeteran

VaudeVillianVeteran

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

I don't know much about hardware but I can tell you that to run the latest games you need the latest hardware, don't expect to be able to run next years highest performance game on high settings on a PC you build now and don't upgrade.

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

I've been looking into various projects including research on parts to rebuild/upgrade my gaming PC. I was curious if it would be easiest to setup a server workstation as a replacement for my gaming PC or to just use regular ATX boards. I want a PC that would last a long time that I wouldn't need to upgrade often at all that would be able to run the latest up to date online games and other graphic and RAM intensive games to be released along with media editing software. Which would be more cost effective in the long run?

With gaming you are always forced to upgrade your graphics card. So there's nothing you can do to "future proof" yourself against that. Any current quad core CPU will suffice for CPU requirements though. The only game that I know that is quad core intensive is Battlefield Bad Company 2.

#4 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

With gaming you are always forced to upgrade your graphics card. So there's nothing you can do to "future proof" yourself against that. Any current quad core CPU will suffice for CPU requirements though. The only game that I know that is quad core intensive is Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Sorry I didn't mean that I wanted a PC that I wouldn't need to upgrade period, I wanted to know which would be a more cost effective decision for what I am going to be running and wouldn't require upgrades 6 months after the build, my current rig for example I was able to last 2-3 years before needing to rebuild/upgrade. Hope this clarifys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users