Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Suite Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jan_d

jan_d

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

First, I want to say thanks to Bleeping Computer for being here!

We loaned a computer to a friend, and now it is infected with Security Suite. I've read all the posts I can find here about how to remove it, and tried to follow through with all the instructions, but I cannot remove it. The computer will not connect to the internet, although the internet connection by proxy is not checked.

This is what I have done so far; I was able to download Malwarebytes with another computer, copy to a cd, and use that to install it on the infected computer, while it was running in safe mode. It found a number of malware files, which were removed. I restarted the computer, and Security Suite was right back with the bogus messages.

Then I found Bleeping Computer through Google, and read about rkill.exe. I downloaded the iexplore.exe version to the uninfected computer, copied to CD, and tried that on the infected computer, still in safe mode. After multiple tries, it found 1 process. I left it open in place and ran Malwarebytes again. No more malware was found. I restarted the computer in normal mode. Security Suite is still there. I reran iexplore.exe, it found a couple more things, I left it open and reran Malwarebytes, which found nothing. I installed Super Anti Spyware, which is a suggestion in one of the threads here, ran that and it identified several more malware files and deleted them. Security Suite remains.

I tried looking in the Task Manager, but don't see anything that shouldn't be there.
I can't download things directly to the infected computer, since I cannot connect to the internet.

If someone could suggest where to go from here, I would be very grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jan_d

jan_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

Thanks, Budapest. I was finally able to remove the virus, and the system is working correctly now. There was a rootkit, so I will keep this information in case something happens again. I appreciate the help, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users