Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presario v6000 with defunct WLAN card; USB Adapter; Vista & WiFi Connectivity Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PerryNZ

PerryNZ

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

Caveat - This is a partner's laptop and it's running Bitsa, about which I have almost no knowledge (apart from "I hate it!")

I have purchased, fitted and installed a realtek USB WiFi adapter.

Why? The in-built WLAN adapter doesn't work, being a consequence of a mobo component failure that caused the same problem in 1-in-7 of that model (according to the www). The adapter was the easy solution. (So I thought!)

After yet another www search, today, it seems that Bitsa has problems with USB WiFi adapters actually working. I.e. the laptop can see the Wireless Network, says it's connected, but lies! I eventually found a www tip that resulted in me assigning an IP address manually, in the alternative configuration window.

Bingo! Data flow!

But I have the nagging thought that maybe if my partner calls in to a cafe that has a WAP on offer, as well as muffins and coffee, she may well find that there will be no WiFi connection made, even though the laptop should try the auto-assign-IP-address option, first, before trying the manually-assigned alternative connection address.

After all, if it didn't work here, why would it, anywhere else?

I'll search out a public WAP next week, sometime, to see what happens. But it occurred to me that someone here might have an insider tip on the vagaries of Bitsa's USB Adapter WiFi access, before I get to that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users