Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File display issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FunkusMunkus

FunkusMunkus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hi, due to problems with Windows Explorer, I installed BBLean shell which fixed the crashing issue - I then replaced Explorer file manager with Explorer++. This worked fine but any folder that is then opened does not maximise to the top of the screen. When I maximise a folder, it is about two inches from the top of the screen and the bottom of a file is unviewable. This issue only arose after I installed Explorer++, I have uninstalled Explorer++ and switched shell back to Explorer but this has not resolved the issue.
Any help would be much appreciated.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: K7S5A
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1295 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 02/04/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Memory: 384 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shadow Bird

Shadow Bird

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

This is.... a tough one. What problems were you experiencing with the default Windows Explorer Shell?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

What I'm going to suggest may sound like I'm ignoring your original problem, but it is only a suggestion as a work around.

Why not tried a stand alone browser like Firefox. There is an extra modicum of protection using a stand alone browser, so there is an added benefit as well.

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Firefox is less vulnerable to certain attacks than Internet Explorer is because it does not support ActiveX, Microsoft's technology for sharing information among applications. ActiveX allows programs to be downloaded to a computer without the user's knowledge providing opportunities to writers of viruses and spyware. "Firefox doesn't have any of that technology, and so we think that that provides users with an extra level of protection."

Edited by dc3, 21 August 2010 - 09:33 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

dc3, I believe he is having issues with Windows Explorer (File manager), not Internet Explorer.

Whereas I don't believe anyone can truly troubleshoot something like this without seeing it first hand.. It sounds like some part of Explorer++ is still installed and configuring the way Windows explorer opens files. You could system restore to a point previous before you installed the program, or try and locate any other programs that may have been installed with Explorer++ that could possibly be causing this.

What original crashing issues were you having with explorer to begin with? You may want to run a chkdsk /r from the Windows Recovery Console and see if it helps anything. You could also try and run a system file check scan (sfc /scannow) from a cmd prompt (will need Windows CD) to see if explorer.exe possibly was modified in some way.

#5 FunkusMunkus

FunkusMunkus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi M.Joines,
Thanks, I restored the system to an earlier point - which has just about fixed the issue, files now maximise to the top of the screen the only thing that doesn't is IE8 but as I mainly use Firefox that isn't really an issue. I used the recovery console and it stated that it had reapired some problems but can not use sfc /scannow as I bought the PC second hand from a local classifieds ad but it didn't come with a Windows CD.

With regards to yours and Shadow Birds question, the original crashing issue was this:

My system would only boot into safe mode, however if I restarted it after it had booted in safe mode, it would boot normally. This happened every day - it would boot normally after a boot into safe mode. I tried restoring to a previous state but no luck. On the initial boot it would get to the Windows loading screen, flash blue and then restart. I have tried using Bluescreenview but nothing is showing.
The other issue which actually came before the boot issue was that it started having problems if I had a couple of things open (e.g. Firefox, notepad and My Documents) I would start 'remembering' whatever was open even if I closed it , it would still show on the screen even if the file or aplication was closed. When that happened windows explorer would disappear. I scanned the system with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes as I thought it might have been a virus, although I run my browser sandboxed with Sandboxie but nothing was found. As the system only has a small amount of memory I thought it might be over-taxed with having more than a couple of things open but even if I closed everything the issue would still remain and I would have to re-boot. This is why I changed shell to BBLean which virtually stopped the issue - it happens about once a week as opposed to every day.

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2010 - 05:04 PM.
Deleted unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#6 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I've never personally ran into a problem such as that, and couldn't tell you what would be causing it. Obviously if you're having bsod's there is some underlying issue hiding amongst all of it. I would recommend making sure that your system is actually writing .dmp files (Right click my comp -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery, towards the bottom it should say write a system dump file on system crash (probably not exact wording since I am not on XP anymore))

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2010 - 05:03 PM.
Deleted unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users