Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple iexplore Processes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RAPHelp

RAPHelp

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Was doing a cursory look at a friends PC and their machine had 3 iexplore.exe processes running. They use IE8 (I use Firefox so am not that familiar with IE8). Is this 'standard' procedure?

They claim they have checked for viruses, etc and the PC is fine .... but it seems slow to them.

They have many entries in their startup and this may affect boot time and maybe overall response - although the task manager/performance shows a constant 17% - 25% CPU usage .... they run MagicJack for telephone ... could that be 'bogging' the system down?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

In IE...there is one process running at all times. For every window/tab a user opens...another process begins.

If I have 3 processes under Iexplore.exe, I should have two tabs/windows open.

If either of those reads iexplorer, rather than iexplore...I probably have malware.

I can't answer anything about MJ...but any program running is going to use up system resources. A look at Task Manager should give an indication if such use is excessive.

Louis

#3 RAPHelp

RAPHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

thanks for the reply

No ... was first thing I checked ... processes are:
59,892 K, 5,484 K, and 38,620 K