Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My XP Home SP3 Internet connection is slow, prob not trojan or virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chrisshorb

chrisshorb

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

I am typing this from my wife's Mac.

My desktop Dell something or other Win XP Home SP3 is not slow. But, my internet connection is hugely slow. I am trying to update my AVG antivirus, and it says I am downloading at 57 *bytes* per second. It says to update my virus defs, it will take 6+ hours. Wow.

This machine is actually physically plugged into the modem, into modem slot 1. Could it be as simple a fix as getting a new ethernet cable? Or something else? My two wireless laptops in the house are not suffering any slowdown at all...

Thanks,

chris

Edited by chrisshorb, 20 August 2010 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

How long?

Changes made to the system before the slowdown?

Take a look in Event Viewer for clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Try disabling browser add-ons?

Are you using a router? Are your systems connected by a network?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

What kind of connection do you have, broad band, dial up... ?

You say bytes per second, how many?

Just for the record, I have a dial up connection which averages 26.4 kbps. That's kilo bits per second, not bytes per second. It takes eight bit to equal one byte. I looked at downloading AVG last week, and was looking at about the same amount of time that you are looking at.

Edited by dc3, 20 August 2010 - 07:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 chrisshorb

chrisshorb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

@Louis:

How long? - about 2 months. It's my kids computer for school and games, so haven't really thought about it until now.

Changes made to the system before the slowdown? - None known, although I may have gone through and removed some programs...

Take a look in Event Viewer for clues? - I'll try that.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Try disabling browser add-ons? - I don't think it's a browser issue, since this also applies to my antivirus updating program, which is not going through my browser (Firefox...)

Are you using a router? Are your systems connected by a network? - The hardware I am using is called:NetGear DGN2000 Modem Router. No network here...

@dc3:

What kind of connection do you have, broad band, dial up... ? ADSL

You say bytes per second, how many? -Seriously, 57 bytes. My laptop, on the same connection, but through the wireless function of my router is getting 2.7 Mbps according to speedtest.net.

Thanks,

chris

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Well...that model has been around since 2004...so there's always the possibility that it's time to replace.

Have you contacted your ISP and inquired about problems on their end...and the possibility of replacement of the router-modem?

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and setting the connection up anew?

Louis

#6 Ryan Pianesi

Ryan Pianesi

• Banned Spammer
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Contact your ISP, make sure you are certain it is not your computer.

#7 chrisshorb

chrisshorb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

@ Louis, @Ryan:

I am getting 2.03Mbps down the exact same pipe into my laptop through the wireless function. So I don't think it's my ISP.

My desktop does not have wireless capabilities at this time, so it is plugged into the back of the router. Some things I can think of: change the port in the back of the router I am using to #2,3, or 4. Reinstall the driver. Get a different ethernet cable.

Go through Event Viewer and see if something shows up there - I'll probably need everyone here's help...

After that, I'll report back. Busy day today, will try it tomorrow.

Thanks,
chris

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

If you have 4 ports...it's good to try all 4 when trying to figure out the weak link in receptivity :thumbsup:.

As for the wireless working well...IMO, that has nothing to do with the inability of the wired ports. One can be good while the other is bad. What it does show is that the ISP is not part of the problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2010 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users