Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madamalamelia

madamalamelia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

My laptop won't connect to the internet. All the other devices on our wifi connects with ease. I have uninstalled and re-installed ie8, installed Firefox and Opera. Everytime I try to connect, I either get a message that says that the address is invalied (yahoo.com and msn.com) or unable to open web page. I don't get it. This laptop has a virtual machine (made by VMWare) that I can connect through, but I don't want to do that since the VM has proprietary information I wish not to get hacked into. HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

Have you tried the simple tasks first i:e check the little switch on the front of the LT to make sure your LT can connect !
Also make sure your AV is not blocking the connection !

Edited by doinmeedin, 20 August 2010 - 04:19 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 madamalamelia

madamalamelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Have you tried the simple tasks first i:e check the little switch on the front of the LT to make sure your LT can connect !
Also make sure your AV is not blocking the connection !

It shows that I am connected. I've used this laptop to connect before. I think I downloaded a virus clicking on a video my cousin posted on fb. I have no cables connected to the AV.

#5 madamalamelia

madamalamelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

Here is what it says "Microsoft Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600)
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Lauren>

That's it. It's a command box that opened and not notepad. I double checked your instructions and this is the only thing that came up.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

It's a command box that opened and not notepad.

Command prompt opens first and then couple of seconds later, Notepad window.
Maybe you didn't wait long enough.

In any case, when you do have a connection and browsers won't work, in 95% cases, some infection is involved.

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users